We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last weekend in April - Festivals?

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Last weekend in April - Festivals?

The bf and I just booked our flight for the last weekend in April. I was so excited because I was there Labor Day weekend last year and it was BEAUTIFUL and thought late April would be even better. Then I started to do some research and I read, according to one person on the forum, April is the worst month of the year weatherwise! I'm trying to not let that get me down and have been searching for things to do, especially outdoor fesitvals. However, most of the events I've found are happening in May and later. Does anyone know if there is anything going on the last week of April?

I'm SO sad I'm missing the rubber ducky event in Estes Park the following weekend.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last weekend in April - Festivals?

I don't know, April will probably be beautiful weather-wise, in Denver at least.

The new, very cool History Colorado Center opens that weekend: historycolorado.org/museums/history-colorado…

The Rockies play the Mets April 27-29 if you're baseball fans: http://www.denver.org/events/detail?e=6385&t=

The Tulip Fairy and Elf Parade in Boulder is always super cute... http://www.denver.org/events/detail?e=5399&t='festivals','special_events'

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
641 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last weekend in April - Festivals?

I've just taken a look at the calendar of free events on Colorado-for-Free ( colorado-for-free.com/ColoradoFreeCalendar.h… ), and found these items during your timeframe:

1) The last weekend in April is part of National Parks Week, so you can visit any NP for free. Within Colorado, that includes Rocky Mountain National Park, Great Sand Dunes, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and Mesa Verde.

2) Wings of Spring: Bird Migration (in Golden) -- drop-in program

They aren't festivals, but may fit your needs. Take a look at that site's suggestions under the link called Denver-for-Free as well for other ideas of things to see and do for free.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,020 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last weekend in April - Festivals?

I don't think April is the worst overall, weather-wise, but it can have some heavy snows! (And we actually want to see those snows because we need the water so badly) In Colorado, instead of "April showers" we get April snows, especially in the mountains. Many hiking trails and dirt roads are either closed or muddy. The nice thing is that the storms don't usually last long and the roads clear quickly. The weather in between can be gorgeous, and there's hiking available in some places. I think you'll find plenty to do.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last weekend in April - Festivals?

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like we can still find plenty to do while we're there.

I don't mind seeing some snow either. I don't get to see too much of that in Texas. If it does start snowing heavily, how's the traffic? We'll be staying in Denver, but will drive out to RMNP and Boulder for day trips.

5. Re: Last weekend in April - Festivals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:41