We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for things to do around the area

California
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for things to do around the area

Hello,

We are going to be heading to South Fork for about 5 days at the end of january to celebrate and anniversary and we just wanted to find out some things to do around the area. They dont' have to be right in south fork, but within 20 miles or so.

Thanks, any help greatly appreciated.

Jen.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for things to do around the area

Creede, Alamosa, Del Norte are nearby and Great Sand Dunes National Park is about an hour away. Pagosa Springs is over Wolf Creek Pass, probably too far but very nice hot springs. Not much else is close, you are staying in a more remote part of CO.

There probably will be places to snowshoe, crosscountry ski, snowmobile or even downhill ski .

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for things to do around the area

Wolf Creek Ski Area is twenty minutes or so away - they typically have more snow than nearly all the other ski areas in the state. It is relatively small but great snow. Durango is two plus hours to the West. If it were me, I would try to stay on that side of the pass.

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for things to do around the area

I grew up camping outside of South Fork, it's a beautiful, but remote area of the state. I would suggest trips to the Sand Dunes which are just beautiful, and over Wolf Creek Pass into Pagosa Springs. The hot springs there are very enjoyable. Other than that, skiing at Wolf Creek Pass if you're a skiier. Not much else that I would consider "close."

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for things to do around the area

We stayed in South Fork for Christmas at a friends's place.

Pagosa Springs would be a good place to head if the pass is open, right now it's closed. We didn't get in the springs, but there were plenty of other people who did.

We took a day trip up to Creede until the road ended (up near the fire dept). Took some nice photos up there. A nice big horned sheep posed for us on the side of the mountain :)

We also drove up to Beaver Lake and watched a few guys ice fish. I don't suggest you try this drive if all you have is two wheel drive on your car. We saw a guy in his BMW get about 1/2 way up and then started sliding backwards downhill......

If you like wildlife, take a drive around South Fork just before dusk. CWe saw lots of deer and elk. Just be careful driving and don't get in their way :)

I think there are place to rent snowmobiles, I'm not sure. Our friends had their own, so it wasn't an issue for us. We rode up to Del Norte Peak the last day we were there, lot's of fun!

Enjoy your trip!

5. Re: Looking for things to do around the area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 04:20
Get answers to your questions about South Fork
Recent Conversations