We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need opinions on the best route to South Fork/Creede

Louisiana
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Need opinions on the best route to South Fork/Creede

In the next few weeks I will be driving my motorhome to South Fork/Creede. I need the best route from Amarillo, TX. It appears the obvious route would be to go up through Trinidad to Walsenburg, then turn west on 160 all the way to South Fork. Is there a better route. Please help.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need opinions on the best route to South Fork/Creede

Yes, Amarillo, Dumas, Dalhart, Clayton, Raton etc. is the quickest route. Stop at Capulin Volcano Natl Monument before you get to Raton if you can spare the time. It doesn't take long to get there and drive to the top. Beautiful views, interesting, plus you are likely to see mule deer. (Watch for antelope and old windmills along the way, too.) You'll be going within a few miles of the Great Sand Dunes Natl Park, definitely worth a stop.

If you'd like a different route one way, you could go through Santa Fe, then to Pagosa Springs, then over Wolf Creek Pass to South Fork/Creede. Or reverse the route to go home. Not sure how much driving time that would add...maybe an hour? But lots of interesting stops along the way if you have the time.

Edited: 29 June 2010, 13:38
Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need opinions on the best route to South Fork/Creede

Your route is correct. Not a lot to see in my opinion on the drive, but then again when we do the drive we are always very focused on getting to South Fork in order to go skiing :)

3. Re: Need opinions on the best route to South Fork/Creede

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about South Fork
Recent Conversations