We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Fork trip report-long

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
South Fork trip report-long

I had read a lot on the forums for the surrounding areas, but had not seen much about South Fork so I wanted to write a report about what we did there. SF was a great base for doing many different things in the area.

DH, our grown daughter, and myself arrived the first evening to cool weather and storms all around. Considering the summer we are having in OK that was a welcome relief.

We ate dinner at Rockaway Café. The food was fine and the service good.

Day 1 We looked around the area along the Rio Grande, then headed up the Silver Thread Hwy to Creede. It is a cute little mountain town with great views down the main street full of shops and cafes. We ate at the Old Firehouse Café and had a great burger, Rueben, and sweet potato fries. The service was good and setting is fun. Next we headed back up the Hwy as far as North Clear Creek Falls. Black clouds and rain were with us much of the afternoon, but still the views were amazing especially at the Head Waters of the Rio Grande overlook. We marveled at the way the scenery changed at every bend. The North Clear Creek Falls overlook has lovely new facilities and is a photographer’s dream. From there we turned around and headed back to SF and got milkshakes, both coffee and vanilla, at the Malt Shop, yummy! We chose The Shaft for dinner since they had an Alamosa beer on tap, don’t know how it has such negative reviews, our food and service were very good. We just had soup and salad (remember the milkshakes) but the tortilla soup was good and the small salad bar had good, fresh variety. Our server answered several questions about the food with a smile and even chased us to the parking lot with DD’s jacket she had forgotten. We went by the Rainbow Grocery to buy fishing licenses. You can get most anything you need there from food to outdoor gear.

Day 2 DH and DD went on an instructive fishing/float down the Rio Grand with Joel Condren of SF Anglers. I stayed back at the house to read and relax. They had a great time and would highly recommend Joel. We spent the rest of the day trying out their skills at different places on the river. We ate dinner at the Rio Grande Club. It has fabulous views, ok food and good service.

Day 3 We drove over Wolf Creek Pass and stopped at the overlook on the right that looks out over the valley. Beautiful!! We had breakfast at The Pagosa Baking Co and had great coffee cake, quiche, and macaroons. In fact we bought coffee cake and macaroons for the next day. We drove on to Durango and checked out their cute city park/visitor center, then headed to downtown. We walked around then ate lunch at Steamworks. We had great Kobe sliders, chips and salsa. Headed back to SF and stopped at Lobo Lookout. The 3 mi. road is on the W side immediately after the Cont Divide sign. Amazing views from “the top of the world” even in the rain. Drove back into SF and stopped at Chalet Swiss for our best dinner so far, potato pancakes and stuffed chicken breast.

Day 4 Our last day. We fished most of the day in the Rio Grande and in Big Meadows Reservoir. BMR is a beautiful place you get to just before Wolf Creek on the west side of the road. You can fish (off the shore or dock), hike, or just relax. We ate at the Silver Fork and realized we made a big mistake saving this place for last. The food and service was by far the best we had all week. Beef Stroganoff, Mac & Cheese, Caesar Salad, Chocolate Mouse, and the most incredible Apple Cobbler. They ask when you order if you want cobbler because they make each one fresh right then!

Day 5 Left early and arrived home to more hot, hot weather. There were so many things I had planned that we didn’t do (Sand Dunes, hiking), but decided to relax and take it slow instead.

Tips: It stormed every afternoon, so do all your outdoor things in the morning. Take drinking water with you everywhere, we were always thirsty. Eat at the Silver Fork first. If you need help fishing call Joel at South Fork Anglers. If you need anything the Rainbow will probably have it. Thanks for reading this if you made it this far.

5 replies to this topic
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,575 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Fork trip report-long

Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report! The Silver Thread Byway is beautiful, and I love the guidebook they have. Wish all the byways had one. Maybe next trip you'll be able to drive on over Slumgullion Pass (interesting!) and to Lake City.

I hope you'll also post reviews of the restaurants you visited.

You didn't say where you stayed. You mentioned a house...was it rented through VRBO or ?? Would you recommend it to others?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Fork trip report-long

We stayed in a house owned by some friends. I have done a review of the Silver Fork and will work on some more. Thanks for reading my report and for all your past imput. I find TR so helpful I wanted to give back.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Fork trip report-long

I apprecate your report! We stay in South Fork about every 2 years during Christmas at a house owned by a family friend. Since we have a house, and a crowd of around 15, we typically cook at the house. We have intentions of one day eating a meal out, but we haven't done it yet. Your suggestions will come in handy when that day comes :)

We travel in winter, so the views we see are a little different than the ones you saw :), but the info you gave is great. My parents are considering a trip to Lake City next summer and this will come in handy.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,652 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Fork trip report-long

Good report, nice to know something about a town that gets little said about it.

rottendog, your parents will find plenty of Texans to keep them company in Lake City. It seems to be a relocated colony in the summer. Gorgeous country and a very nice little town.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Fork trip report-long

Susie-yes, we're all trying to escape the miserable 100 degree temps here!

Reply to: South Fork trip report-long
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about South Fork
Recent Conversations