We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 wheel?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
4 wheel?

I am driving for DEN to vail / beavercreek Saturday, staying for 1 week, Given the weather, will we need a 4 wheel drive SUV or is regular sedan ok to rent.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 wheel?

No way to tell really, especially for your return. If you're staying for a week, I suspect it will be cheaper to take a shuttle and avoid paying rental car fees, gas and parking.

Have fun.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 wheel?

A front wheel drive sedan is usually fine,but if you require a ski rack the SUV might make more sense price wise. I'm coming up 3/17 and both are expensive, hoping prices come down. I prefer a 4 wheel drive, but have rented both. 4 wheel is better in a substantial snowfall. If it's slippery they're about the same. The price difference during our stay was only about $100, so I went with SUV.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 wheel?

Look into a shuttle. They will have ski racks and plenty of experienced drivers. In Vail there is adequate shuttles and things within walking distance that renting a vehicle and paying to park it will seem like a waste. Use your money for something more fun.

www.vailgov.com/transportation-services

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 wheel?

Minivans are usually half the price of an SUV and have the same room or more room.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 wheel?

We've spent as many as 8 weeks in Summit County and have never had anything other than a front wheel drive car.

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 wheel?

I've been to Colorado 4 times, two of those, both in march we have had heavy snowfall just before heading back to Denver with the i70 covered in snow for many many miles, trucks stopped at the side putting on chains etc. both times we had an SUV.

If we'd had had front wheel drive I'm not sure the journeys would have been doable . I think that in CO if you've got two wheel drive you have to chain up when the signs on the interstate say ?

Two wheel drive may be fine, but conditions can vary massively from day to day. I'd get SUV , or CME shuttle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 wheel?

Chain laws are only for commercial vehicles.

With a front wheel drive, you only need M&S tires with adequate tread.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 wheel?

>>Chain laws are only for commercial vehicles.

With a front wheel drive, you only need M&S tires with adequate tread.>>

Not true. Code 16 rule. Maybe implemented twice back in Nov, Dec.

https:/…TractionLaw

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 wheel?

I'm coming 3/17 - 3/27, 11 days and Enterprise charges only $100 more for SUV for this time. Just get the SUV, $100 or less in comparison to price of trip isn't worth worrying IMO.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,710 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 wheel?

During a Code 16 it makes no difference whether your rental is a front-wheel drive sedan or a 4WD SUV, you won't be allowed on the roadway until the conditions improve.

"Code 16: During a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, every vehicle on the roadway is required to have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock)."