We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few dumb questions

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
820 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
a few dumb questions

Forgive me, but I have never skied before and going to Vail for first time next week. I am tagging along on hubbies group trip, staying at Lodge Tower. Would like to try ski lessons for one day. Now for the dumb questions:

- Equipment: I am a petite lady at an even 5 feet and have similarly small feet (women's size 4 or kids size 3). How does one go about renting the appropriately sized ski gear? I will of course bring my own gloves, hats, etc. Would I need kid sized equipment? And do I have to do anything in advance?

- How do ski lessons work? How long do they usually last? And then do you just ski on your own after the lessons? Would I even need a lift ticket for the bunny slopes?

I am sure there are even more dumb questions that I am forgetting. Thank you for bearing with me!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: a few dumb questions

And ski rental place in Vail will size you up correctly. Not to worry about that. Lesson info at

vail.com/plan-your-trip/book-ski-and-ride-le…

Lessons usually run from 9-3 with a lunch break. If you have the energy you can ski on till closing. You need a lift ticket to go anywhere on the mountain, including the bunny area.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a few dumb questions

I encourage you to rent a helmet as well. Not necessary, but I figure better safe than sorry when it comes to protecting your brain. Otherwise, texranger pretty much answered all your questions.

I've never taken a lesson at Vail so not sure exactly how they work, but at the hill where I teach we sort even the beginners into groups that are similar (we try to avoid having young children mixed with adults unless it is a parent/child and we can't convince them they would be better in their own groups) so that people are usually on level par with one another. If you prefer a private lesson, ask if Mark Jones is teaching -- he taught me how to teach and has incredible patience. Or, if you want a female instructor, last I knew Sabrina Pope was teaching there; she has patience as well because when we worked together she usually took the children, so she had to have patience. (I would get the adults who lacked confidence or coordination.)

Here's the thing you most need to know. In thousands of lessons that I've taught and observed others teach, I've never seen someone who was unable to learn unless they quit, took off their skis, and walked away. If you take a lesson from one of Vail's certified instructors, I would be willing to bet you the price of the lesson itself that you will not only ski well enough to slide down the hill, fall, get back up, go again, slow down, stop, and turn, but even more importantly that you will have fun doing it. My ski season is over where I live; I envy you the chance to get back out on the snow yet this year.

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
820 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a few dumb questions

Thank you Texranger and Turkce! I definitely will get a helmet1

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a few dumb questions

Take lessons every day (please ski more than one day :)

And remember to tip your instructor

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,575 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a few dumb questions

Can't resist a little teasing...Feel free to ask dumb questions...we have plenty of dumb answers! No, seriously, no problem with your questions. No way to know unless you ask and there are probably lots of others who have the same kinds of questions.

I'll second the recommendation to take at least two days of lessons. The first day you'll learn a lot but the second day will be more fun!

Edited: 25 March 2016, 01:54
Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a few dumb questions

Funny, being a ski instructor you would think that I would be all about taking lessons every day as well, but I'm really not.

Oh, I do think that you will benefit from them if you take them, but I also realize that the biggest thing that any new skier needs is lots of repetition. Once you have the basics down, just getting mileage under your belt is your biggest and best teacher.

So, be sure that your second lesson is the right lesson for you. You won't need that introductory lesson the second day. It needs to be with someone who is watching you, not just doing a cookie cutter lesson aimed at a generic group. (Not that I am suggesting that Vail teaches this way; I don't believe they do.) The best way to get the right instruction is to take a private lesson or be in a small group, no more than 6, but I would say the optimal lesson size for a beginner would be 4.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,575 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a few dumb questions

vail.com/plan-your-trip/…

I would look at the Women's Small Group lessons if it were me, or the Adult Beginner if they aren't having the Women's Small Group when you're there. Or the Adult First Time Series if you were pretty sure you wanted to ski more than one day. But with the Women's group or the Beginner group lesson, you'll likely find one or two people you can hang out with at your level, and maybe even join up to ski or lunch or shop. Having been an adult beginner myself, one caution is not letting hubby and friends talk you in to trying to join up with his group for the day (unless they are beginners, too).

kle
Boston
Level Contributor
820 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a few dumb questions

Lots of great advice. Thank you! Since this will be a rare trip without the kids, I am also sorely tempted to just hit the spa and stay put for a day!

Thanks, again, for your advice.

Level Contributor
25 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a few dumb questions

Hi, you will be fine, plenty of petite skiers here. If you call your hotel concierge they have a couple of businesses that deliver all the equipment you may need to your hotel and fit it to you. Don't forget to try some spas, you will love it here, I promise!

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a few dumb questions

So, how did your trip go?