We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
352 posts
110 reviews
The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

My daughter and I are taking a trip there to see if she has interest in attending school there. Our trip is in April. I have done a TON of research with her and one of the common complaints is that it is a boring area near the university.

So we are going to check out Wesleyan, but also the area that is very close to the school..... she won't have a car and will either walk or take public transportation.

Is the area really as boring as the current students make it sound?

7 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Level Contributor
368 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

You would do better getting that advise from the college students, however I do feel that this area would be boring to the college age. Without a car, the few restaurants, pizza places, and one movie theater would get tiring awfully fast. Since you state that your daughter will not have a car on campus, it would be very difficult to get around to other areas to shop and socialize. Public transportation isn't all that great in CT and is a hassle. While the University has a good reputation, your daughter would probably beg for a car not long after enrolling. I do think there are some things close to Middletown that are of interest but I'm not so sure they would appeal to a college age person. Having a car would allow her to go to areas like West Hartford which would be more appealing to college age crowds. I would feel that if her grades are that good to consider Wesleyan, she might want to consider a college based in a larger city like Boston or NYC where public transportation is so much better. Perhaps even New Haven, CT.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
250 reviews
2. Re: The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

The decision to attend a school should be based more on the school than on the community it is in.

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
352 posts
110 reviews
3. Re: The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

It depends on many things. We are also visiting Boston but her personality will not fare well there. She likes quiet but not too quiet.

Oslo
Level Contributor
867 posts
383 reviews
4. Re: The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

TBH the area near the university is ok. Northern Main is a bit dingy but southward it is nicer and nice with lots of great restaurants. I would suggest you stay in Essex at the Griswold Inn (ca. 20 mins)...

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
352 posts
110 reviews
5. Re: The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

We're not staying. We are having a 3 hour visit, maybe 4.

Oslo
Level Contributor
867 posts
383 reviews
6. Re: The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

Plenty of nice restaurants along Main. Not far from the school is a nice place to check out -Wadsworth Mansion https://www.wadsworthmansion.com/ Middletown has MANY nice historical buildings. The area around the campus is nice.

On the way back from or to the visit check out Haddam off exit 7 on RT 9 and Essex Exit 3 off RT 9 which will give you a nice feel for what the area has to offer.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
87 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?

I am in my early 20s, and while I didn't go to Wesleyan I do live close by. If your daughter is looking for a college experience like that of Penn State or Uconn, it is not the place for her. I've never heard of a Wesleyan football game. However, I went to a more typical college, and I found myself having more fun back home in Middletown. The restaurants and bars on Main Street are different and interesting. It's nice that they are fun places to go to, even without drinking. My personal favorite is Eli Cannon's. Unlike other college areas, there aren't really clubs nearby, but I wasn't really interested in that and Middletown better lends itself to friends spending time together. I suggest checking out the nearby Wadsworth Park and Mansion. Connecticut doesn't have the best public transportation, but it is getting better, and Middletown is about as convenient as it gets to anywhere. Give it a chance. It is definitely a love or or hate it kind of place.

Reply to: The area very close to Wesleyan University. Boring?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Middletown