We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what should we do?

LONG ISLAND
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
what should we do?

We will be staying at Saybrook point inn in Apr with my children (5 and 1 y/o) for 2 days. Any suggestions on what we should do?

Mentioned in this post
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
817 Reviews
Old Saybrook, CT
New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what should we do?

Look for shells on the beach, build sand castles, have a picnic, watch the tide, feed the sea gulls. Maybe take a ride to Mystic to look at the boats in the marinas or go to Olde Mistic Village (which may be interesting for the 5-year-old). There's also a wonderful antique train that runs out of Essex that your 5-year-old would love! Gillette Castle (on a hilltop overlooking the shores of the Connecticut River)- house won't be open but the grounds are fabulous for walking and picknicing. Just veg. Have a wonderful trip to our great state. The Inn should have brochures for all of the above but you can do lots of research on line. Here are some links: http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/steam.html,

http://oldemistickvillage.com/,

www.ct.gov/DEP/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325204

Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
New Hartford...
Level Contributor
329 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what should we do?

P.S. Forgot to mention that there will still be a chill in the air here in April, especially by the water. (It always amazes me that it's often warmer on your side of the Sound than ours!) If you bring appropriate clothing, you won't mind the sea breeze at all. If your children are comfortably dressed you'll have a bit of a job trying to get them off of the sandy beach!

LONG ISLAND
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what should we do?

Thank you.

CT
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: what should we do?

I live in Saybrook. You can leave Saybrook Point Inn & head to the left and take a wonderful walk down the causeway along the water. At the end of the causeway on your left is the entrance to Fenwick, an area of many stately homes (including the former home of Katherine Hepburn) and a public 9 hole golf course.

There is a mini-golf course right next to Saybrook Point Inn that should be open on the weekends. You can walk out the door and across the street to it.

Main Street is a great place to walk also. I would recommend the steam train for the kids, Mystic as the other poster mentioned (about a 40 min drive) and there is a movie theatre in Westbrook at the outlet mall if it's pouring out. Hope you have a great time. I am a gym member at SPI the facilites are very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
817 Reviews
Old Saybrook, CT
Mystic
Mystic
Connecticut
Westbrook
Westbrook
Connecticut
5. Re: what should we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Old Saybrook