We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very SMALL Budget to Work With

Reading...
1 post
Save Topic
Very SMALL Budget to Work With

My family (Myself, Husband and 3 children ages 1,6 and 10) are going to stay at my Mother in Laws in Magnolia for a few midweek days. We would like to experience the activities and attractions of the southern DE area but I am not sure what we can do. Our budget is VERY small. Any suggestions on how to keep the family happy other than the beach?

Brandywine Valley...
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very SMALL Budget to Work With

I grew up in Delaware and had to check Google Maps to find out where in the world Magnolia is!

Actually, with kids the age of yours, I would think that spending your days at the beach at Rehoboth or one of the ocean beach state parks -- Cape Henlopen or Delaware Seashore -- would give you the most bang for your buck. In Rehoboth, you'll have to pay for parking ($1.50/hour nearest the beach). The state park will charge you $8/car for a day's entry as an out-of-stater.

No matter which beach, you can pack a cooler with everything you might want to eat or drink (no alcohol), so there's no cost there. No beach tag charges like at many Jersey Shore beaches. You might want to bring an umbrella -- or you can rent one in Rehoboth. But it's a *very* inexpensive day if you don't eat or shop along the boardwalk.

Both Del Seashore and Cape Henlopen parks seem to have restrooms -- an issue with kids, I guess. Not sure the Rehoboth public restrooms are family friendly these days. (Somebody please update that impression -- I know they've been trying!)

If there's some other reason you want to avoid the ocean beaches, Dover has a lot of interesting historical stuff. But really, will your kids have any interest at all??

One other day trip would be to Assateague Island to see the wild ponies.

…state.md.us/publiclands/…assateague.asp and assateagueisland.com/island_info/assateague_…

In addition to the ponies there are tiny (comparatively) sika deer. The first time we saw them, we thought they were white-tail fawns -- but then realized it was October and those little fawns should have lost their spots! What we saw were adult Sikas. Sika deer are just lots smaller than white tails, and many of the ones on Assateague are so used to humans they barely move when a person comes upon them.

There's a really good nature center where your older kids will find lots to interest them.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Henlopen Hotel
Henlopen Hotel
298 Reviews
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
Dover
Dover
Delaware
PA & lower DE
Level Contributor
232 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very SMALL Budget to Work With

Great post, covered alot of things. One thing I can add for kids entertainment on a small budget is Funland Amusements in Rehoboth. We take our 2 year old son there. The rides are nice and the ticket prices CAN NOT be beat. Very cheap for it's location....heck, very cheap for anywhere!

Mentioned in this post
Funland
Funland
1,185 Reviews
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very SMALL Budget to Work With

I believe you can still park free after 5Pm in the unmetered areas of Rehoboth if you are going to FunLand which I agree is a great bargain.

You may also want to consider the town beach in Lewes. It is on the Delaware Bay not the ocean. There are no waves to knock the very little ones over. Get your space number and feed the meter.

Mentioned in this post
Funland
Funland
1,185 Reviews
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Lewes
Lewes
Delaware
Delaware
Delaware
United States
BeccaSmith_79
Level Contributor
59 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very SMALL Budget to Work With

I am not sure when you are going, but the State Fair usually has free days during the week....I love the fair! Lots of animals....tons to see....

If there is fishing gear at your in laws...fishing is lots of fun!

Also, depending on the season, check around for u-pick farms. Some of my favorite memories as a small child were picking apples and berries!

Killens Pond State Park is another great one...they have a water park with slides and pools, bubblers, etc. You can hike in the morning, picnic, and pool side it for the afternoon. I just checked the state park webpage, and you can get a pack of 3 day passes for 15 (inland parks) or 20 (ocean beaches) dollars...this will get you into the parks for 3 days...

Have tons of fun!

Mentioned in this post
Killens Pond State Park
Killens Pond State Park
60 Reviews
Felton, DE
5. Re: Very SMALL Budget to Work With

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Rehoboth Beach