We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best laid back area w/white sand beaches AMI-Marco Island?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best laid back area w/white sand beaches AMI-Marco Island?

We usually travel to the US Virgin Islands or the FL panhandle. We love to sit on the beach, snorkel, hit a local beach bar, drink, eat, sleep Repeat! Lol! Maybe a little adventure hear and there. When we travel we prefer to support local owned locations for as much as possible. No chains restaurants or hotels. We want to rent a house with a pool on a canal that is a short boat &/or car ride (20 min or less) to the beach. This trip we (myself 39 & hubby 49) are taking My 72 yr old mom & 17 yr old son. We are in search for the closest thing to the USVI in Florida (We tried the keys and don’t feel like that’s the place- unless you can show me different. We stayed in Islamarada and ventured to Key West for the day. Felt like it was very touristy and didn’t find great beaches) White sand beaches (looking for off the beaten path best reached by boat beaches too!) inexpensive-moderately priced area (no need for fancy shmancy) laid back vibe and just looking for a great place to make memories! I really want to make this trip awesome for my mom and son as she’s aging and he’s getting ready to head off to college in a yr 1 1/2 year. Thanks for your help! I look forward to your insights! Have a fantabulous day! Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
3 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,613 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best laid back area w/white sand beaches AMI-Marco Island?

This is the wrong forum.

Marco isnt all that laid back, but there are houses with pools. I dont find the sand white. Bech access can be tricky.

AMI has white sand, houses with pools ot rent. Beach access is easy and free.

Fro beaches reached by boat only you might want to look into Captiva (not white sand but golden) and Gasparilla isalnd (again not really white) they have islands nearby to take a boat to. AMI has egmont key to take a boat to.

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best laid back area w/white sand beaches AMI-Marco Island?

Marco has white sand and shells. Was just at the beach on Friday and it was beautiful. We live 1.7 miles from the beach inland on the island and can be at the beach (by car) in less than ten minutes. Many houses on the island have pools. Nothing to snorkel on Marco other than a new artificial reef that they built near the Jolley Bridge. As long as you aren't here Jan through April (high season), Marco is quiet. Even with high season, it's nothing like Spring Break at the busier beaches. Lots of condos and timeshare right on the beach and near the beach. Parking can be harder to accomplish if you are further inland. I have no idea on boats, but lots of homes are on canals here.

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Cape Coral, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best laid back area w/white sand beaches AMI-Marco Island?

I would highly suggest to stay north of the Caloosahatchee river. The water is more clear since Lake Okeechobee water is releases into the Gulf causing the fresh water (brown) into the Gulf (beautiful blue). If you choose south than Marco has lots of shells especially the north part of tiger beach. If you want white sand than Siesta key. It's like baby powder. If you can afford AMI than that would be my choice. Living in Cape Coral for 10 years.

Mentioned in this post
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Cape Coral
Cape Coral
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Reply to: Best laid back area w/white sand beaches AMI-Marco Island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape Coral
Recent Conversations