We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunpass

united kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
sunpass

Hi we are flying in to either Miami MIA or Orlando MCO still not firmed up flights but flights are on hold. Husband is ex airline.

Just trying to work out or gain some knowledge about the Sun Pass. Will we need it?

Car rental will be with Avis. and return is to Tampa Int;l.

Travelling to Englewood/Rotonda.

Thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sunpass

Sunpass is so easy and inexpensive to obtain, I suggest you do it. You can buy them at the State run rest areas or even a Publix markets. ($5.00) then, call or or log in per instructions that come with it, attach to a credit card, and you are off !

Easy a pie

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,613 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunpass

Personally, unless i am driving to the keys or around dade county a lot I dont like to use the sunpass. The mini is ok, but really hard to get off your car at return. The major toll you come across is I75 and you can pay cash. Returning to TPA there will be a toll on the sunshine skyway, of 1.50 or so-again you can pay cash

Ask on t he Miami forum how to get out of the airport and get west w/o tolls.

If you want to use Sunpass use the rental car's system. But dont use Dollar or thrifty who are very expensive.

Mentioned in this post
united kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunpass

Hi thanks very much flights booked to Orlando and return Tampa car rental with Avis. As there are only a couple of tolls cash seems to be the answer. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,613 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunpass

But choose your route from the AP carefully- ask on the Miami forum how to avoid the latest Sunpass only toll roads.

Mentioned in this post
united kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunpass

Hi, Just to sum up we finally picked up our pre booked car from Avis at Orlando, the line was over 20 minutes wait, and then we were told they didn't have any cars! People ahead of us were being asked to wait for a further 20 mins while cars were brought up. We also had to wait a further 20 mins.

So late leaving Orlando. Hindsight is wonderful and if I was doing this trip again I would definitely do as Amanx suggested and stay in Orlando the first night. But we had already booked Four Point in Punta Gorda so had to travel on. We stopped to get change for the tolls and once we had done that it was really easy, no problems just paid as and when but having change helped. We didn't realise that at some of the tolls change is given anyway.

Thanks for the information and advice.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
6. Re: sunpass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2016, 13:16