We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

I am having so much trouble deciding on whether to rent a cottage from Pirates Den or the like on AMI or a cottage at the Castaway, Tween the Water Inn or Jensen's on the Sanibel/Captiva Island area. Please help me decide! We plan on parking and not packing up and driving anywhere, staying on the beach with our little boys ages 5 and 7, enjoying beautiful clean beaches and finding cool shells , fishing (renting a pole would be great), local restaurants, a local store, and having a pool would be great as well. We just want to be away from the crowds , the noise and have family fun . How far apart are the two if we want to visit whichever one we do not decide to stay on?

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
681 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

The distance from AMI to Sanibel/Captiva is 115 miles and the drive takes 2 hours and 10 minutes. I have repeatedly vacationed at South Seas and there are a numbers of factors that make the case for an AMI vacation, the most notable is that AMI provides a more affordable vacation experience.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 04:15
United States
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

Ashley said in an earlier post that shell seeking and finding shell treasures was very important to her family. That's definitely Sanibel/Captiva. Also, South Seas is more expensive than the places she mentioned; Tween Waters and Castaways. Lastly, she is looking for a quiet beach. That stretch of beach on Captiva has a very small population then. It is low season there, as opposed to high season on AMI. Not dissing AMI, just trying to help with what is being asked for in the vacation spot.

United States
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

Something to think about regarding a day trip: I just checked Mapquest. It will be over a 3 hour drive to Blind Pass, where the Castaways is located, and Captiva Island, where Tween Waters is located. It says Sanibel is 2:30 hrs. Well worth a day spent to check out the area, but means giving up a day of vacation for a 6 hr drive too.

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

Even though I am a huge fan of AMI, I have been to Sanibel a few times too. I think you will find more of what you are looking for at Castaways or Tween Waters. You have the shelling and the beach, plus its pretty quiet in the summer. Castaways says they rent fishing poles, maybe tween waters inn does too? Bear in mind, adults will need a fishing license, but you can get at either of their marinas on the bay side I am sure. You also have to take a trip to the Bubble Room Restaurant on Captiva. Kids love it.

One thing I would ask at Castaways, since it is right near Blind Pass, is if the currents on the beach are safe for young children. When the tides are going in and out of passes, it can create strong undercurrents sometimes. It is like that on the northern and southern tip of AMI, but I am not familiar with Blind Pass to honestly be able to say. Just a thought with little ones. If that's the case, Tween waters would probably be better

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's input so far! It is all so very helpful!

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
681 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

I have been visiting San/Cap since 1986, and subsequent to our first visit my family bought a beach villa at South Seas and a home in the Lake Murex subdivision just off West Gulf Drive. The point that I made in a prior post, is that many lodgings in the Sanibel area, as well the extended vacation area, are most costly in Sanibel/Captiva than they are on AMI. As for shells, they have been scarce in both areas recently, the beach renourishment area on AMI should prove a bounty during the winter season and the private beach areas on Sanibel/Captiva are equal to the private beach areas that run the length of AMI. When I drive from AMI to San/Cap without an abundance of traffic, the ride takes approximately 2 hours and 10 minutes dependent on the route you choose.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 07:45
United States
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

I apologize Newport if you thought I was trying to say you were wrong about the drive time or vacation cost. That certainly wasn't my intention. I just figured Ashley didn't realize that the drive to Captiva would be much longer than the drive to Sanibel. I did tell her in her first post about going there, that it might be cost prohibitive. That's why I suggested some less expensive options. Sometimes, just like in an e-mail, words get mistaken for their intent. I didn't mean to offend you.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

"the beach renourishment area on AMI should prove a bounty"

Can you elaborate on this? We are coming to AMI in late January and LOVE shells. Hoping to find some good ones. Thank you!

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
681 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

When they pump sand onto the beach as they are doing now, they usually have a pile or a mound that contains numerous shells that are pumped onto the beach from the offshore pumping site, and the shell contents of the mound are a treasure trove of incredible shells. The last time they did this they had an enormous shell mound in the parking lot at Coquina Beach that shell lovers examined on a daily basis.

Edited: 03 January 2014, 02:59
Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Distance between AMI and Cap/Sanibel ?

Aw! Good to know. Am I going to miss it? We don't come until the last week of January.

Get answers to your questions about Holmes Beach
Recent Conversations