We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I be disappointed ?

Level Contributor
628 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Will I be disappointed ?

On a different thread I mentioned possibly staying in Largo at Holiday Inn property with day trips to Clearwater, Indian Rocks, and Madeira Beaches. The Largo area sounded interesting to me with Central Park and Botantical Gardens. We are a retired couple and would be visiting at the end of february. The general consensus was we would be disappointed, especially with the commute to the beaches. Are they right? Should I abandon the Largo HI and spend bigger bucks (points) to stay closer to the water? Really thought I had found a diamond in the rough... now I am having second thoughts. Especially when I see how few posts there are on the Largo forum. Suggestions?

4 replies to this topic
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I be disappointed ?

As long as you know you are not staying on the beaches, or don't mind that there may not be too much walkable from the hotel, or that it is not in a very 'touristy' area, I think you will be fine there. It is kind of a central area if looking for day trips, driving to the beaches up and down the Pinellas County coast. You would have a pretty easy drive to 2 bridges that go to the beaches. Belleair Causeway to the north, and the Ulmerton Rd bridge to the south. From these, easy drive north or south along Gulf Blvd to Clearwater Beach, Madeira, St. Pete Beach, etc.

Just depends what your priorities are. As long as you are aware of, and don't mind, that you will need to drive to the beaches, and price being priority, you should be fine there.

If looking for the total "beach vacation experience", staying on the beaches would be recommended.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I be disappointed ?

HI!!! Live just west of hotel. Yes, centrally located. Close to all your said needs.. OK, the area, lots of traffic noise, Fire Dept, trains, Police station, Hospital, we are a , 'city'. Not a, toney location, hi-crime rate.... Not much on walking distance, sight seeing. Diamond in the rough, oh yes. Enjoy your stay, see you at the park....

Level Contributor
628 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I be disappointed ?

I did abandon the Largo idea. Instead I booked in Dunedin which from most reports has the walk to downtown area we were looking for. Still have to commute to the beaches but I think we will be satisfied

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
92 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I be disappointed ?

Ok!!! Great downtown area, marina, shops, dining, etc. Head over to the Dunedin causeway, park on beach,Intercoastal side. Closest beach, Clearwater, over Memorial Causeway. Will not go wrong, step up from , Largo I have lived since, 1999. We have a house with land for all our toys, boats etc. Makes sense for living here, visiting, no... Have a great time!!!!

Reply to: Will I be disappointed ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Largo
Recent Conversations