We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Training

Which Madeira Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boat Training

We'd like to rent a boat for a couple of afternoons, but don't really have any experience. Is there a boat rental company that does training? I thought I saw one but can't find the web site again.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Training

Only rentals I know of right in that area is at The Pub. http://thepubwaterfrontrestaurant.com/

I had some out of state visitors recently that rented a 19' boat from Clearwater Beach. I was a bit worried, since they didn't have boating experience. But, the rental company must have taught them enough because they made it back with no problem, or having run it aground. Main thing is to keep in inside the channels, so you may want to read up on navigating the Intracoastal, and channel markers, on the internet. That way you would be already up on that.

May want to try to do this on a weekday, as there will be much less boat traffic.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Training

Tourists who rent boats in this area tend to keep the Tow boat companies, the USCG, Boat repair yards and marine insurance companies in business. My advise is to go slow so that no one gets hurt when you run hard aground. Also just for laughs, make sure that you know where the PFD's are and how they work.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Training

I think this was a fairly innocent question. It's unfortunate that someone would respond in such a sarcastic and mean spirited manner. Several places further south offer training, including the coast guard. We were simply hoping there would be something similar in this area.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Training

Your right, I had an attitude this morning. I am directly involved in cleaning up after these events. This morning was a little sad for some of us again. But truth is, I should not have been mouthy. I'm sorry.

The USCG aux in St. Pete Beach offers a 13 week training course. But, all you need to rent almost any boat here is to be old enough with enough of a credit line regardless of ones seamanship.

You know man, if I was a visitor to this area, I would go to Desoto County Park and rent a couple of kayaks (which are really affordable) and explore the mangroves and sea life in that area. You can swim safely off of your boat, and everyone has a PFD on anyway. Its way more fun, you actually see way more stuff and its a 1/4 the price. Everyone gets back to the dock intact at the end of the afternoon.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Training

Helpful suggestions are always welcome. We will certainly consider what you've said.

Madeira Beach...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat Training

Jack's Boat Rentals in John's Pass should be able to help you out.

Their number is 727-392-6912.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 00:49
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat Training

Thanks we will talk to them!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat Training

We have rented multiple times from Dolphin Marine in Treasure Island. We usually rent a 21' deck boat. We enjoy the freedom to explore on our own rather than a large tour. It is imperative that you know how to navigate and stay in the channel. We have never had any problems.

I don't know if i'd go out without some previous boating experience though. We always have at least 2 with us that are comfortable and capable to handle the boat.

If you don't have any experience, you could try to find a private tour rental. We took a private sailboat cruise and really enjoyed that.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat Training

Thanks for the reply. Our vacation has come and gone and we decided not to try and rent a boat. It was a passing idea and since we don't have any local places to rent or practice we just let it slide.

10. Re: Boat Training

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 23:16