We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Seas Resort

Cincinnati
4 posts
Save Topic
South Seas Resort

We are traveling to Captiva from Cincinnati to stay at the South Seas Resort. This is our first time ever in this part of Florida.

I will have my two boys with me ages 12 and 20. Can anyone point me towards things we "must do" versus things that we shouldn't bother with ?

I'm thinking I need to rent a car...will this take the place of needing a golf cart? The golf carts are quite expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
South Seas Hotel
South Seas Hotel
1,645 Reviews
Miami Beach, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Seas Resort

Are you renting thru South Seas or an outside agency. This helps with advising on what activities and vendors are available to you.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Seas Resort

Take a look at the Top Questions on the right for info. in regard to renting a car. A taxi to and from the resort is pretty expensive. If you've rented through the resort, you have the option of using the resort trolley to get around the resort if you don't want to rent a gulf cart.

Cincinnati
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Seas Resort

I should know the answer to that but I don't :/ I booked my trip through a travel agent.

Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Seas Resort

South Seas is big place. If your on the south end you can easily walk to Captiva Village. Cars won't replace a bike or golf cart because there is nowhere to park. I would still get a car because the is a lot to see on Sanibel.

Ask your travel agent as to whether you have amenity access on the resort. Important question.

Edited: 14 July 2015, 23:43
Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Cincinnati
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Seas Resort

I'm paying a daily resort fee so I imagine I have full access to amenities. Unfortunately after looking at the price of golf cart rentals I have realized I cannot rent both a car and a golf cart. The carts go for about 130 per day...seems kind of high to me. Hopefully we can find another way to get around.

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Seas Resort

If you have access to the trolley then a golf cart isn't needed. The trolley runs frequently and takes you from one end of the resort to the other. We were there on our boat at the marina back in June, and the trolley worked for us. The resort is huge, with beaches, pools, restaurants, stores (food, wine, upscale clothes, local art, souvenirs), and boat trips to other islands. Make sure you do at least one of their boat trips from the marina. The islands to the north are really laid back and worth a visit. There are plenty of dolphin and rays in the shallow water behind the islands. We saw manatee in the marina as well as in the clear water off the north end pool area, next to the pool bar. Since we had friends from up north with us, we were very happy to see so much Florida wildlife. We ate at the Harbourside restaurant at the marina, and the food was excellent. We had great service, the ceaser salad and calamari were very good with portions large enough to share, the snapper, grouper, steak, and scallops were all delicious, and had sides that went very well with what they came with, and we were all too full for dessert. The bill was less than what we expected, so we had no complaints. The beach is really nice. The main resort pools can be pretty noisy and crowded with kids at times, but we didn't have a problem finding nice lounge chairs at the beach or pool.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Captiva Island...
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Seas Resort

Some options for transportation:

Coastal Carts in ft Myers will deliver. $340 a week. Still expensive but much cheaper than South Seas.

http://coastalcartsrentals.com/index.php

Bicycles, South Seas rents bikes for $5.00 a day. You will be offered bike rental vouchers when you check-in.

Now some must dos on Captiva.

--Kayaking--Now South Seas offers Kayak rentals, but Captiva Kayak at McCarthy's Marina will be less expensive. They provide detailed maps to get you thru the mangrove trails on Buck Key.

--Dolphins Cruise-- Captiva Cruises leaves from South Seas Resort. Coupons available on their website. The cruise to Cabbage Key has lunch at a fun restaurant where "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" may have been inspired. The Sanibel Thriller is more thrilling but more expensive.

--Captiva Restaurants--Your reservation may have included a kids eat free deal, or resort credits. But, when you need to feed two teenagers: Captiva Cantina, dive mexican place; Bubble Room, carryout cake; R. C. Otters, good affordable food in a basket type place; Mucky Duck, sunsets.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Cruises
Captiva Cruises
844 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Sanibel Thriller
Sanibel Thriller
626 Reviews
Sanibel Island, FL
The Bubble Room Restaurant
The Bubble Room...
4,086 Reviews
Captiva Island, FL
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Seas Resort

I too am from Cincinnati area. I am coming down to Captiva to South Seas for vacation on August 7. Rent a car and skip the golf cart, That way you can travel to all the beaches on Sanibel and Captiva. Take the kids to the Lighthouse and the fishing pier. Also take a boat ride or an evening cruise out to either Cabbage Key or Useppa Island. Or even more fun rent a pontoon boat from Tarpon Bay to let your kids see the mangroves and the water with all the fish. This is right by Ding Darling National Park and the best part of having your car is you can go through Ding Darling with your family to see the birds, alligators and other things. Any questions feel free to contact me. Great restaurants on Captiva and on Sanibel....we live in Madeira.

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Useppa Island
Useppa Island
83 Reviews
Bokeelia, FL
Tarpon Bay
Tarpon Bay
422 Reviews
Bonita Springs, FL
9. Re: South Seas Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2016, 14:19