We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
22 reviews
40 helpful votes
Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

It seemed a long time ago, in a different time (Jan 2020) when I made my plans for our December visit to Orlando. Unwittingly I made some plans which have caused a few problems now I have to cancel.

First mistake booked flights and car rental on separate bookings, BA cancelled part of our flights, the Edinburgh to Gatwick part. This allowed me to cancel the entire booking and get a refund. This took about 20 minutes on the phone and the money should be back on my card in 7 days.

BA say that if I cancel the car rental, I will lose 20%, of the cost, however I have a few weeks before I need to do this so will wait just in case something else happens.

The other mistake was with park tickets, bought Aps for Universal, so they should be OK when I (hopefully) go back in Dec 2021. I also bought on AP for Disney, and that’s OK as well. I then bought 14 Day Disney tickets, for 2020 and 2021, through Attraction Tickets.

The 2020 tickets have been extended through to Sept 2021, but, as I have already bought 2021 tickets, there’s a problem. Attraction tickets say I can cancel the 2020 tickets, but will lose 20% of the cost or, send them back and just pay the difference for some 2022 tickets, when Disney release to price of 2022 tickets.

The hotels were easy to cancel on-line, and getting a full refund where I actually paid.

I have also cancelled the Disney park reservations.

35 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
23 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

W.J. - I was in a similar situation to you - we were due to fly EDI-LGW-TPA a week ago today - but back when I had made my booking almost a year ago, I had shopped around for Car Hire and with one thing and another ultimately reverted back to BA and went via Avis. But with my delay in doing so ,more than seven days had elapsed whereby BA would/may ? have recognised the flights and car booking as a "holiday package" - and so,whilst I received my full refund of cash, Avios and an Amex Companion voucher on the flight arrangements several weeks ago, I had to wrestle with them repeatedly on the car booking and sadly didn't get anywhere in trying to secure a cash refund of the full cost of nigh on seven hundred quid !! Consequently, I now have a "credit" or or a voucher or a pre-payment - whatever BA want to call it , for the full amount of my Car Hire booking to offset against future travel arrangements. Not ideal, but when all is said and done, its something I will be able to use - eventually......at some stage !

Edited: 24 September 2020, 20:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

At least you made the decision to cancel as I know you were a bit undecided. I don't think any UK visit will be able to go until at least the middle of next year. The upside is we can save the money we would have spent this year and maybe stay at better resorts and book better seats on the flights when we do finally get to go back.

3. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2020, 02:23

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
4. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

Slim balls 🖖🏽😛

Maryland
Level Contributor
350 posts
1 review
5. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

What’s a slim ball then Pirate?!

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,718 posts
126 reviews
119 helpful votes
6. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

Really sorry welshjock, I know it was a hard decision to make. Was looking forward to your trip report too.

But credit to you, if you ever need a job you'd make a brill travel agent with all that planning.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
22 reviews
40 helpful votes
7. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

I was tempted to take a voucher, from BA and use it to upgrade our next flight, but the cash will give me more options.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
139 reviews
140 helpful votes
8. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

Hi WJ

I think you’d already resigned yourself that this was going to happen quite a while ago, though when you have to pull the trigger it’s still a horrible experience..

I hope you can get sorted with the tickets🤞🏻

We’ve just rebooked late summer with VA and I have to say they were fantastic.. Gareth who found the flights for us was brilliant, ringing us back when they became available..

They only went up £19.45 which was the alteration in tax, so we were very happy..

DVC was booked with the usual ease, so just the Universal hotel to book..

Now we wait to see what happens in the meantime,,

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
74 reviews
96 helpful votes
9. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

I thought you would cancel WJ

We were due to fly out on 4 Dec from Glasgow to MCO with Virgin but with that flight now cancelled we just got our deposit refunded.

We normally go out for 2 weeks in Feb but that won't be happening either

edinburgh
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
22 reviews
40 helpful votes
10. Re: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Save

We will be looking to go back twice to take advantage of the AP we have bought, one visit will be over Christmas, the second around September 2022.

That may be our last visit, getting to old now.

Reply to: Just cancelled our Dec 2020 booking.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
Malaysia
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.