We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see Traveling through Florida with Teens

ohio
Level Contributor
138 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
What to see Traveling through Florida with Teens

We will be traveling to Key West in April, 2010 (spring break) and would like information on interesting places to visit/stop on the WEST COAST of Florida. We made this trip last year and went down I-95 (EAST COAST) and made a few stops, i.e., Daytona, Space Center, St. Augustine. Our girls are 15 and 13 years old. We are traveling from Ohio. Any suggestions on things that may interest this age group

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Ohio
Ohio
United States
11. Re: What to see Traveling through Florida with Teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 03:45
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
473 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to see Traveling through Florida with Teens

Absolutely consider stopping to snorkel John Pennekamp Marine Park! We have visited it twice and had great experiences both times. We stopped for lunch in Key Largo and then met up for our tour with..........hmmmm....I believe it was SunDivers company which we really liked. We enjoyed a wide variety of marine life....just beautiful...even spotted a large sea turtle:)

Happy Travels!

Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What to see Traveling through Florida with Teens

I have been visiting Sarasota with my two girls since they were babies. Their interests change continually ,however their favorite things have always been Myakka State Park, the Lippazaner Ranch(both in same area off I75, south of City), and Pelican Bill's(next to Mote Marine) followed by lunch at Old Salty Dog, across the street.

I personally like visiting the Ringling Art Museum and window shopping at St. Armands Circle. To buy anything we go up to Ellenton to the Outlet Mall.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Old Salty Dog
Old Salty Dog
1,634 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
The Ringling
The Ringling
6,176 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
St. Armands Circle
St. Armands Circle
4,858 Reviews
Sarasota, FL
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to see Traveling through Florida with Teens

Gainesville is worth a drop-by for the Florida Museum of Natural History with its amazing Pleistocene fossils (Florida is a fantastic place for documenting the big animals of the Ice Ages) and a spectacular butterfly flight cage stuffed with tropical plants.

The town also has a good botanical garden (Kanapaha) at I-75 and the Devils Millhopper, a forested sinkhole with waterfalls descending the sides and disappearing. It's a state park on the north edge of the city.

You might visit at least one or two of the great North Florida springs. Manatee, Ichetucknee, or Silver would do nicely.

South of Orlando, Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park isn't to everyone's taste, but it's extraordinary--vast expanses of 2 foot high vegetation and open horizons. All maintained by fire: lots of lightning, lots of flammable vegetation. If the girls are into nature, they might be intrigued by grasshopper sparrows.

Mentioned in this post
Florida Museum of Natural History
Florida Museum of...
824 Reviews
Gainesville, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Manatee Park
Manatee Park
1,853 Reviews
Fort Myers, FL
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
15. Re: What to see Traveling through Florida with Teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 12:16