We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothing

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
clothing

My husband and I are renting a place for Feb., Mar., and Apr. How do people dress in Sarasota? We are used to New England, were we dress for dinner. Is it warm enough for linen? Do you wear white after labor day? We have so many silly rules here!

Any way I would love some feedback. Thanks

New England girl

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,210 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothing

Florida is a very casual place. Most people just dress comfortably based on the weather.

The northern rules really don't apply as far as Memorial Day/Labor Day. There is always "winter white"... ;-)

It can still be chilly in February, so nice slacks and a sweater/light jacket/blazer are dressy enough. During the summer sun dresses are popular.

If you are attending a black tie/formal dinner..then you dress.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothing

I'm sure that one of the female local experts will give you some advice, but I'll give some from a male's perspective. Feb, March and April are peak tourist season months, so you'll find visitors from all over wearing all types of clothing. February may have occasional cool/chilly days, so a sweater will feel good; on those days, you'll find locals with flannel shirts and sweaters ... and visitors in shorts. April will definitely be hot, temperatures in the 80's. Dress for dinner? If it's a special occasion, say Christmas or Easter dinner, a wedding or a funeral, or possibly a visit to the opera, then I reluctantly wear a tie and jacket, especially if the meal is at a place like the Ritz-Carlton. Otherwise a nice shirt and slacks is fine for a nice restaurant. If you're going to a less formal place, shorts will be good. Wearing white after labor day? Heck yes; right now it's 91 and when we go out to dinner tonight I'm not about to put on something dark that picks up heat. In February, I'll be in khakis, by April I'll be back to lighter colors.

One thing to remember is that Sarasota is a tropical and generally casual area. I'd be guided mostly by the temperature -- definitely different from when I was growing up in the Northeast.

OK , Lemstar, SRQgirl and other local females, how'd I do?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothing

You did great! Yeah, the white thing that I grew up with in the mid-west does not hold in Florida. I will say, however, if you are a male wearing pink shirt and yellow/green/pink golf pants with white shoes we will know you are a tourist! Seriously, wear what you are comfortable in. Temps will range from 50's overnight, to 80's during the day. Most restaurants are fine with shorts and T's. We are very casual down here!

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothing

Heck, if I am clean, I am dressed for anything.....lol....

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothing

Thank you very much for the clothing issue. Casual is just my style, and be assured I will not let my husband wear white pants and a pink & green shirt.

If you have any other tips on places and restaurants to visit, that would be great. Thanks a bunch.

6. Re: clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 12:18