We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours to kill

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
155 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
6 hours to kill

Flying in to Tampa on a week day and have about 6 hours before my friend arrives and we head off to our destination. I will not have a car, but looking for somewhere to kill 5-6 hours before meeting up with my friend, preferably somewhere near-ish to the airport as I will be taking a cab/uber. I will also have bags (just a duffel) so while I'd really love to go hike or something I don't think it would be conducive. Looking for an area wtih some local shops (local---not chain stores or a mall), a lunch spot, etc. I saw a similar post asking for restaurants. I am following that one too, but am hoping to find an area where I can spend the majority of the afternoon.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
13 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,315 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours to kill

You might want to visit Ybor City to get some historical along with good places to eat and hang out. https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Ybor City
Ybor City
2,550 Reviews
Tampa, FL
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours to kill

Hyde park is a cute neighborhood area, easy uber ride from airport and lots of shopping & cafes.

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
155 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours to kill

International Plaza

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
155 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours to kill

One more question: Better to just rent a car for the day ($60) or just take cab/uber to Hyde Park area. Any idea of uber cost from airport to Hyde Park?

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
155 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hours to kill

Definitely take Uber. A cab to Hyde Park from the airport is about $25 plus tip. Depending on the time of day, and Uber will be about $15. The cab & Uber to Ybor would be a little bit more. Ybor City is the historic area, but it also can be a bit gritty ... kind of like Bourbon Street in New Orleans. It has some great local restaurants, and there's a small historic museum right in Ybor City. Plus, you can ride the streetcar into downtown Tampa for little or no money and to take up some time. There's a streetcar stop right by the to History Museum in downtown Tampa, and the streetcar also stops at the Florida Aquarium, so there are great options to kill time, and I think you can check your duffel at each location. Hyde Park is more modern & upscale. There are some good local, non-chain restaurants, as well as a chain or two. Some of the shops are local, some are chains, all are on the medium to pricey side. There's a movie theatre in Hyde Park, but other than that, I'm not sure I could spend 6 hours there.

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
155 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Bourbon Street
Bourbon Street
6,040 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Ybor City
Ybor City
2,550 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
The Florida Aquarium
The Florida Aquarium
4,718 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hours to kill

Go to International Mall and stand in line for the Apple Store. That should kill 6 hours. Just kidding. I agree with Ybor. While in Ybor eat at the Columbia Restaurant, Florida's oldest restaurant and I believe the oldest Spanish restaurant in the country. You could also walk the length of the Riverwalk in downtown and end up at Armature Works or Ulele to eat and drink.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia Restaurant
Columbia Restaurant
5,228 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Ulele
Ulele
1,467 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Oslo
Level Contributor
859 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hours to kill

Hyde Park, Ybor City are two good choices. Or hit the Mariott by the Ice Palace for a cocktail or two and walk near the river.

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
155 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Ybor City
Ybor City
2,550 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 hours to kill

I also would recommend Ybor. Fun shopping, good restaurants (Columbia, or Carmine’s). A few breweries, tap rooms and lots of history.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
O'Fallon, Missouri
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 hours to kill

Hi - Similar situation here. Have to be out of the rental by 10 but flight doesn't leave till 5:00. But the wild card is, I will have 6 adults and 2 kids under three. Any suggestions for a family to kill a couple of hours near the airport.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,933 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 hours to kill

We listed all the available options above -- easiest would probably be International Mall, which is quite literally just a mile up the road from the airport, or Westshore Plaza, which is about 2 miles away (the other direction)

Mentioned in this post
WestShore Plaza
WestShore Plaza
81 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Reply to: 6 hours to kill
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted