We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

Nashotah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

What car rental agencies are IN the Tampa airport-- no shuttle to a remote location?

Tampa Bay CityPASS with Discount...
25 Reviews
from US$107.00*
Best Seller
The Florida Aquarium in Tampa Bay
28 Reviews
from US$24.65*
Special Offer
Aquatica Orlando SeaWorld Water Park...
13 Reviews
from US$43.99*
US$69.22
31 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

None ... a recent change moved them off airport so you now have to take a train to get to the rental center. I think it isn't more than a 5 min ride.

Edited: 21 March 2018, 05:35
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

They used to be across the street in the garage. Now the 'on site' rentals are a little monorail away (like the Terminal F one).

Havent used it yet, but will in April. It will have all the majors. All the little piddly ones are offsite completely

Pittsburgh...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

I'm familiar with the train. It's not that bad. But does anyone know if Payless cars are now at the Rental Center? I've read horror stories about their being "off site" and bad service. But the Tampa airport website includes Payless in their list of rental car companies now at the Rental Center. Is that correct?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

If they have moved onsite, doesnt mean their customer service will/has improved.

I'd avoid.

Florida
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

Driving an Enterprise rental car from Central Florida to Tampa Intl Airport. Will drop off other passengers and bags curbside at departure. Will then drive to the rental car return. I notice that all rental car returns now get returned quite a way outside the airport terminal off the Service Road. Then you have to shuttle back to the airport. This seems like a hassle compared to what it used to be when the returns were near to the terminal. Would it be less of an inconvenience if I just paid the difference and had an airport shuttle service take us from my home to the airport? It's twice as expensive than renting a car.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

I dont know, but it isnt a bus shuttle you have to wait for- it is more a monorail type shuttle that goes back and forth constantly like the shuttle to terminal F.

Florida
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

Kind of answers my question, doesn't it?

The 1.5-mile SkyConnect system links the Main Terminal to the Economy Garage and the 2.6-million square foot Rental Car Center. From one end to the other, the ride takes less than five minutes. Trains arrive at each station roughly every two minutes. It is home to 16 rental car brands and brings new efficiencies with fueling, car washing and vehicle maintenance services all located at the same location for the first time. This allows passengers to get in and out more rapidly, especially during peak passenger times.

All passengers will have access to kiosks for boarding passes and checking bags at the Rental Car Center.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

Not really. Like you and I many frequent users of TPS (2/3 times a year for me) liked the old concept of walking across. but they are expanding the airport, more termianls etc. Soo i assume they needed the space.

I would have preferred it stayed the old way, but at least you dont have to take a bus. And be stranded there when the car firm you have chosen (esp a cheapo one like payless or Sixt) holds you hostage for extra fees and denies you are back to the terminal and tells you to call a taxi.

I am sure there will still be a few cheapos like that a bus away if you want.

Edited: 28 March 2018, 04:20
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
144 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

The new rental car garage has a bag check in it. Then you can take monorail to terminal

Florida
Level Contributor
645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport

I just called enterprise at the rental car center to reconfirm that everything was working as it should since they only opened in mid February. She said that you are able to check in your bags at the rental center only for American and Southwest airlines. That means that after returning your car you would put your bags on a cart, board the monorail, and arrive with your bags at the terminal wherein you bring your bags to the bag drop in the terminal just like old. Don't know when Jet Blue, the airline I'm flying, will begin this new bag check in service and the rental car center.

Reply to: Car rental agencies in Tampa airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted