We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with teenages?

Concord, New...
1 post
Save Topic
What to do with teenages?

We will be traveling to Vero beach to visit family at the end of February. We are looking to do some additional excursions to entertain 2 16 year old boys. Is there any place exciting for them south of Vero Beach worth traveling to? or should we just head to Orlando? They are interested in water sport and music and beaches. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Middle of the...
Level Contributor
350 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with teenages?

Our 16 year old grandkids love to go out deep sea fishing. Not talking the expensive charters here but a party boat that takes a bunch of people. Our favorite is the Ft Pierce Lady. The ride out on the ocean is worth the fee and catching fish is a bonus. The mates help with everything including cleaning the fish. See https:/…116385261778474 for more info.

Also the zoo in Melbourne has a treetop trek she enjoyed. This is a challenging trail through the trees that includes several ziplines. Details at http://www.treetoptrek.com/ and floridastateparks.org/sebastianinlet/events.…

They can also do guided kayak tours on the Indian River Lagoon at both the Environment Learning Center and at Sebastian Inlet state park. See http://discoverelc.org/ and

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Brevard County, FL
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,147 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with teenages?

Vero Beach is pretty much a retires town. The above suggestions are good. You can also rent jet skis or do a guided kayak trip. Sebastian inlet about 45 minutes north of Vero is a popular surfing and fishing destination. The beaches at Vero beach are decent and there used to be bogie board rentals at Jaycee Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with teenages?

On the beach south of Vero, the Navy Seal Museum is small but does reflect the area's World War II heritage. The beaches were used as practice areas for amphibious landings. A last sweep to remove underwater obstacles was done only a year or two ago.

https://www.navysealmuseum.org

Vero has kayak rentals. West of town, at Blue Cypress Lake, Middleton's Fish Camp runs pontoon boat tours. The lake has a very large number of osprey nests, my recollection is at least 150. http://www.middletonsfishcamp.com

Here's a group of things to do in and around Ft. Pierce. The botanical garden (which I see weekly) is a modest one; McKee in Vero Beach is far more elaborate and better-funded. Unless you like bonsai). http://fortpierceauthentictours.com

The Smithsonian at Fort Pierce is a modest outpost. http://www.sms.si.edu

As mentioned above, the Environmental Learning Center is well funded and has a fine location adjacent to the mangroves and Indian River. Another such place, worth a short visit, is the Barrier Island Center, north of Sebastian Inlet. It explains the local beaches' importance for nesting sea turtles.

brevardcounty.us/EELProgram/Areas/BarrierIsl…

There is a surprising variety of ocean beaches in the area. Offshore reefs and shallow offshore water in Indian River and St. Lucie Counties limits surf height, while high shell content in the sand seems to contribute to the beaches being rather steep. Vero's South Beach Park (which is reefless, though there's a prominent reef just north) can have nasty shore break. Local surfers and bodyboarders will be entertaining after school on such days. The little county park next to Disney at the end of the Wabasso causeway offers similar entertainment (but the parking lot might be full). These parks and others in the county have knowledgeable lifeguards all year.

Fort Pierce Inlet State Park is on the north side of the jetty, and has a gently sloping beach with easy waves, popular with longboarders. Lifeguards seem to be summer, only.

Sebastian Inlet State Park is a very popular surfing spot, partly because the jetty (unlike Ft. Pierce) makes for well-shaped waves close to the beach, ideal for photography. No lifeguards. The park also has a small museum at the site of the survivors' camp from the 1715 Spanish treasure fleet disaster.

The beaches north of the state park tend to have softer waves breaking farther offshore. Lifeguard services are spotty in winter.

www.brevardcounty.us/FireRescue/BeachSafety

Of course the water is cold. Here's the daily surf zone forecast.

forecast.weather.gov/product.php…

Orlando offers water parks with heated water (they close on cold days)

Skimboarding is a local specialty. Local hotspot is at Mulligan's (Sexton Plaza, ocean end of Beachland Blvd) in Vero. Look for videos of Brad Domke, who got started at Wabasso.

Edited: 26 January 2015, 22:41
Mentioned in this post
Navy Seal Museum
Navy Seal Museum
1,046 Reviews
Fort Pierce, FL
Environmental Learning Center
Environmental Learning...
111 Reviews
Vero Beach, FL
Barrier Island Center
Barrier Island Center
134 Reviews
Melbourne Beach, FL
South Beach Park
South Beach Park
75 Reviews
Vero Beach, FL
Disney's Vero Beach Resort
Disney's Vero Beach...
1,293 Reviews
Vero Beach, FL
Fort Pierce Inlet State Park
Fort Pierce Inlet State...
302 Reviews
Fort Pierce, FL
Sebastian
Sebastian
Florida
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with teenages?

I just returned from Vero Sunday, and have a 16 year old myself that I need to entertain for Spring Break when we return. This area is a total snore for teenagers, so you need to work hard at it, and bring a friend if possible.

Here's my take:

Round Island Park- rent Kayaks from the local company and hope the Manatees are around. Even if they aren't, they'll have fun kayaking the backwaters. Its safe and no strong currents.

Rent bikes and cycle the Jungle Trail. Start at the Northern most part and head South. Hike the 2 Pelican preserve trails..both short loops and show them the observation tower with field scopes. Bring binoculars if you have them, and wear shoes...not sandals.

Charter a fishing boat. I didn't see anyone catching fish surf casting from the beach.

See Mel Fishers Treasure Museum in Sebastian and then head to the beach to watch the surfers. Maybe there's a surfing school there. The Inlet is wild and wooley, and they'll get a kick out of seeing it up close.

Rent a place in a master planned community to increase your chances of your teen meeting other teens. My teen plays Tennis,so I'm looking at Sea Oaks and Gran Harbor, but finding short term rentals are tough due to restrictions. For a night or two, best chances are at the Disney Resort.

Navy Seal museum: I didn't go there but sounds good and there are some good restaurants at the Fort Pierce Inlet.

There is a group of young teenagers who cruise the village at night, and they all looked like good kids to me. Mostly boys with a few girls mixed in, My son is good at meeting strangers, so he can break the ice. If our kids have a friend, its even easier. A few of them skateboard the Village each evening near Ocean Grill, so that's a good time to meet them.

That's the best I can do. Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Sebastian
Sebastian
Florida
Disney's Vero Beach...
1,293 Reviews
Vero Beach, FL
Navy Seal Museum
Navy Seal Museum
1,046 Reviews
Fort Pierce, FL
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with teenages?

I just returned from Vero Sunday, and have a 16 year old myself that I need to entertain for Spring Break when we return. This area is a total snore for teenagers, so you need to work hard at it, and bring a friend if possible.

Here's my take:

Round Island Park- rent Kayaks from the local company and hope the Manatees are around. Even if they aren't, they'll have fun kayaking the backwaters. Its safe and no strong currents.

Rent bikes and cycle the Jungle Trail. Start at the Northern most part and head South. Hike the 2 Pelican preserve trails..both short loops and show them the observation tower with field scopes. Bring binoculars if you have them, and wear shoes...not sandals.

Charter a fishing boat. I didn't see anyone catching fish surf casting from the beach.

See Mel Fishers Treasure Museum in Sebastian and then head to the beach to watch the surfers. Maybe there's a surfing school there. The Inlet is wild and wooley, and they'll get a kick out of seeing it up close.

Rent a place in a master planned community to increase your chances of your teen meeting other teens. My teen plays Tennis,so I'm looking at Sea Oaks and Gran Harbor, but finding short term rentals are tough due to restrictions. For a night or two, best chances are at the Disney Resort.

Navy Seal museum: I didn't go there but sounds good and there are some good restaurants at the Fort Pierce Inlet.

There is a group of young teenagers who cruise the village at night, and they all looked like good kids to me. Mostly boys with a few girls mixed in, My son is good at meeting strangers, so he can break the ice. If our kids have a friend, its even easier. A few of them skateboard the Village each evening near Ocean Grill, so that's a good time to meet them.

That's the best I can do. Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Sebastian
Sebastian
Florida
Disney's Vero Beach...
1,293 Reviews
Vero Beach, FL
Navy Seal Museum
Navy Seal Museum
1,046 Reviews
Fort Pierce, FL
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,148 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with teenages?

The beach business district in the evening is safe, and it's socially acceptable to be out after dark. In winter, it's probably busy enough for the rabbits not to be out. High school cross country teams run through the area, including Riverside Park, in season.

The city's rental restrictions have been voided by the state legislature, which may make finding a place easier. Disney is nice, next to Wabash beach, popular with bodyboarders and skimmers (search YouTube for Brad Domke). It's also in the middle of a wealthy but utterly boring residential area.

Grand Harbor (Harbour?) is a large mainland enclave on the Indian River. Certainly has golf and boating.

Possibly the best natural area on Jungle Trail is Captain Forster Preserve, 2000 feet south of Wabasso Beach Road. It's a live oak forest. Apart from mosquitos, there's little reason to worry about anything nasty.

Edited: 27 January 2015, 09:53
Mentioned in this post
Disney's Vero Beach...
1,293 Reviews
Vero Beach, FL
Wabasso Beach Park
Wabasso Beach Park
42 Reviews
Vero Beach, FL
7. Re: What to do with teenages?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2016, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about Vero Beach