We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Exuma v Big Exuma

Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Little Exuma v Big Exuma

Hello,

I am considering a trip to Exuma, can someone please explain to me what the practical differences are between little Exuma and big Exuma?

Which has the best (and by that I mean the bluest, calmest and clearest) beaches?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
4 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Exuma v Big Exuma

There's really not much of a difference if any other than by name. Little exuma is just slightly south of great exuma, connected by a small bridge. If it wasn't for the bridge you'd never know you were on a different piece of land.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
655 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Exuma v Big Exuma

I do agree with JamesinSD. I'd say open google maps satellite and look carefully at where white sand beaches are, where roads and pockets of buildings are. Then you can choose whether you like a more remote or more central location.

George Town is where there is a grocery store, the water taxi, boat rental, a bank, liquor store, and a few restaurants. Palm Bay also had a cluster of accommodations and restaurants and bars. Rental homes are all over. Sandals and Grand Isle resorts are NW of the airport.

The practical difference is that you will have to drive further to the airport and to get groceries and to have more options for eating out.

The water everywhere clear, blue, perfect. Not calm everywhere as some shoreline is open to the Atlantic and will have waves. Protected bays will be calmer, but not always calm. Water will calmer on the south side of the island, but not so much sandy beaches there. Use google maps to locate your rental options and see what it looks like.

Edited: 27 June 2017, 22:02
Mentioned in this post
Grand Isle Resort & Spa
Grand Isle Resort & Spa
1,044 Reviews
Great Exuma
Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Exuma v Big Exuma

Thank you!

Miramar, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Exuma v Big Exuma

Hello Ohio...

I will make it very easy for you...The most spectacular beach in all of the Exumas is Tropic of Cancer Beach located in Little Exuma near Williamstown. The beach is isolated and sits protected by several small islands. The clearest and bluest waters you will ever see and no waves at all. Your best bet is to stay there and rent one of the handfull of rentals. Tropical View Villas is also a great option.

Mentioned in this post
Tropic of Cancer Beach
Tropic of Cancer Beach
139 Reviews
Out Islands
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Reply to: Little Exuma v Big Exuma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little Exuma
Recent Conversations