We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for trip to Exuma (especially Little Exuma)

NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for trip to Exuma (especially Little Exuma)

We were a group of 3 families that rented a home in Little Exuma for 5 days mid July 2017. We had 7 children travelling with us, all under the age of 6, including a baby. We were nervous about how to keep the trip relaxing and safe with so many kids. Luckily the owner of the home we rented worked with a local, Theo, who assisted with our entire trip. We wanted to see the swimming pigs but a day long trip to the cays was too far, so he took us out on a private tour on his own boat to see the (humongous!!) swimming Rolleville pigs, as well as to nearby iguana island, and to a starfish breeding area, where we dove and found massive starfish, some of which were 1 foot wide. He arranged for transportation to and from another day trip to Chat N’ Chill (beach bar with good food and stingrays that swim right up to you), and took the adults out in the evening to Peace and plenty and the local fish fry. He provided transportation to and fro the airport.

For days we stayed in, Theo’s aunts, one of whom was the previous head chef at Grand Isle Resort (and now has her own restaurant, see below), cooked 3 course Bahamian meals at the house and also stocked our fridge prior to arrival. Our last night in Exuma, our little baby started wheezing.. we didn’t know what to do, except to call our friend, who was kind enough to drive the baby and her parents to the hospital. Theo was like our extended family member on this trip- We can’t speak highly enough of him! EXCURSIONS, TRANSPORTATION, FOOD, HOUSECLEANING- you name it, he’ll get it done for you! Theophilus_gray@hotmail.com. All around, amazing trip on an beautiful island- the days were filled with the clearest ocean water and nights of pitch black starry skies. I won’t forget you, Exuma! A special thank you to Theo and the Gray family for making our trip stress free!!!

https:/…REVIEWS

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Grand Isle Resort & Spa
Grand Isle Resort & Spa
1,039 Reviews
Great Exuma
3 replies to this topic
Adamstown...
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for trip to Exuma (especially Little Exuma)

@NYFuninthesun thanks for posting your trip experience with a large group especially young children. We will be going our 3rd time in April my husband and I and our 3 teenagers, but I would love to plan a trip that would include our 3 married children and spouses. May I asked where (which house) you stayed that accommodated you all? Did you rent a van or a few cars to get around? I have it on my "to do" list, having a local chef come and cook for us, thanks for the recommendation!

I had no idea there are swimming pigs in Rolleville! A day long boat trip is very long especially for younger children, most of the time is spend on the boat, but very much worth while, - when our teenagers went along we hired a private boat and got to do a lot of snokeling, but didn't get to see the pigs and iguanas, this might be a option for us.

thanks, Alex

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,829 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for trip to Exuma (especially Little Exuma)

And don't forget to tip! Some Exumians may not accept it but it's still nice to offer!

NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for trip to Exuma (especially Little Exuma)

We stayed at one of the 3 Heibert houses (the light blue one) VRBO #4144226 on Little Exuma near Cut Pearl. We did not rent a van because no one felt comfortable driving in a foreign country, though it is very easy to navigate the island, since there is only one main road. I had looked into rentals- most were SUVs that fit 6-7 ppl max for ~$100-150/day. Cabs are expensive but readily available. It cost about $90 one way from the airport to our home in Little Exuma (half our party), the other half drove with Theo.

The Rolleville pigs are much more convenient to see than the Cay pigs. We left the house around 9a and drove to the Exuma Point Bar and Grille which took about one hour. Theo met us with his boat and took us to see the pig island, iguana island, and starfish diving from there, and we were back home by about 430

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Exuma Point Bar and Grille
Exuma Point Bar and...
126 Reviews
Great Exuma
Reply to: Advice for trip to Exuma (especially Little Exuma)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little Exuma
Recent Conversations