We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

I recently inspected the Red Mangroves of Moriah Harbor and North Little Exuma and they looked beautiful. Thick healthy colonies thriving all along the water ways, with beautiful clean stems sprouting from sugar white sand. The brackish lake looked healthy as well providing a sanctuary for all sorts of birds. Very minimal surface trash from normal human activity, bottles etc. And more importantly, very minimal damage from petrol usage. The Bahamian people are doing a fine job of preserving the spectacular natural formation that is Moriah Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
7 replies to this topic
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

I LOVE MANGROVES!! I love to take our GoPro and film around the roots under the water. Did you stay at Valerie's place? Her cottages with use of kayaks are one of the best home bases for exploring Moriah Harbour Cay and the area. Did you see any turtles or sharks? Love that area.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

I did not see any marine creatures, although I was mostly surveying from a distance with binoculars. The entire ecosystem seemed to be thriving, so I would presume the function of a nursery for these creatures is also doing well. It just seemed to be a giant filtration system with the strong tides and currents constantly nourishing the area with fresh clean water.

One of the reasons I mentioned it is because I saw a big improvement from a trip 6 years ago and even from a trip 1 year ago. Previously barren areas now populated with mangroves. Just south of February Point was another area which seemed to be much cleaner and had mangroves sprouting. I found the entire Island much cleaner than a while back. Kudos to the locals for realizing that this precious resource needs to be preserved. Next time I return to Cat island I hope to see the same.

Mentioned in this post
Cat Island
Cat Island
Out Islands
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

I think we're realising how important the mangroves are to our overall biodiversity, so more people are aware. I only wish the big developers, like in Bimini, would take heed, but it would seem the $$ speak louder. Lots of areas of mangroves that have been left alone are thriving. North Long Island has had mangroves for years that are even bigger and more extensive in the last 5 years alone. Not only are they a nursery for the sea critters, but they act as a haven for birds too.

Eleuthera's Island School has undertaken many replanting projects, which have taken root. Some of the other islands are following suit. And I recently read a report that states mangroves are moving further north than before -- up the eastern US coastliine, perhaps an effect of global warming.

Mentioned in this post
Bimini
Bimini
Out Islands
Strandhill, Ireland
Level Contributor
574 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

We kayaked from rolletown yesterday & seen some lemon sharks & stingrays, no turtles around Moriah Harbour. Beautiful area.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

That's great news, my very next trip is to be Northern Long Island, never been to the island. I will certainly be on the hunt for thriving red mangrove colonies all around Cape Santa Maria. Shark and ray sighting's in Moriah, that's awesome. This cooler weather must be nice for kayaking.

Standing by the salt tower of Little Exuma I could see the Cape. Geologically, it's the same island formation before the seas rose after the last ice age... So it should be amazing, better than Exuma's by virtue of massiveness.

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

Do a kayak tour around Newton Cay. We did that on our trip in July and saw sooo many turtles. We never could find our way from the bay to the other side near the cape but we had a great time anyway. We are missing Long Island so badly now.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
532 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.

I'm researching my trip to Long Island and going through your trip report Jugledriver... I may have some questions for you. I was saddened by your goat encounter and had to stop reading for a bit. Unfortunately, life can be harsh for those in the middle of the food chain. Happy thoughts...

Reply to: Happy to report the Mangroves are thriving.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little Exuma
Recent Conversations