We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Yangon to Kyaikto

Oxford
Level Contributor
369 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Train Yangon to Kyaikto

We will be travelling from Yangon to Kyaikto in January and had thought about going by train rather than bus. I know there is a special AC train which goes every Sat as well as train 89, an ordinary train. which I think goes every day. Has anyone any experience of using these trains and what would they suggest.

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
6 replies to this topic
toronto
Level Contributor
675 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Yangon to Kyaikto

I took that train last week - I went all the way to Ye which was way to long, but Kyaikto is just 4.5 hrs, so that would reasonable I was in "upper class" and it was quite comfortable and spacious, though very bouncy and noisy. The only AC we had were the open windows! But I was reasonably comfortable. A Lot of TA people will tell you forget the train, take the bus, but the train is a decent adventure. I was the only foreigner on the entire train.

I was also on the night train, but I would recommend the early morning train (7:15 I think). Seat61.com has current information. And don't buy the tickets on-line, prices are about triple the real price. Go to the advance ticket office 1 to 3 days before your date, or on the day of travel you can buy at the train station (if they are not sold out).

GOOD LUCK

Oxford
Level Contributor
369 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Yangon to Kyaikto

Craig, many thanks for your reply

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,727 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Yangon to Kyaikto

Good luck indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx5fcSXd4kI

SS

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Yangon to Kyaikto

Good experience, that's what travel is all about.

australia
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Yangon to Kyaikto

no problem with the bounce , myanmar adventure , 7.15 am it is

great trip

Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Yangon to Kyaikto

Air conditioned train is no more running. Yeah, there's 7 am train to Golden Rock which will take about half day. It's good experience and worth to do it. But if you want the upper class seat, you have to book 3 day in advance at the booking office.

Htet

Reply to: Train Yangon to Kyaikto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted