We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. My daughter has accepted a position teaching at a new school on Chicago's west side. The school will be located in the old St. Callistus building. I know that this isn't the best neighborhood. Can any one tell me about the area? We need to get her moved in later this summer. Info on the closest grocery and Wal-mart type stores, plus any info on just how much I need to worry about her living there.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

I don't know much about the area, but the address might be helpful to others who might be able to reply - please confirm if it's 2189 W Bowler St. (which is a bit SW of Stroger Hospital.)

Memphis
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

Yes, that is the correct address.

Illinois City...
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

http://www.google.com/local?sc=1&hl=en&q=Grocery&near=60612&btnG=Google+Search&rl=1

This page shows nearby grocery stores. With the google local thing, you should be able to type in 60612 and anything (grocery, pharmacy, etc) and get a map of the surrounding area.

Is she going to be living there or does she need to find an apartment?

Memphis
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

Housing will be provided. What is the name of this neighborhood so I can research it on the web.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

The name of the neighborhood is Tri-Taylor. Lots of rehabbing is going on in this neighborhood, so the neighborhood is on it's way up. It is close to Little Italy with a lot of good resturants there.

There is a Jewel Food Store at the UIC campus about 3/4 east of there. There may smaller groceries in the neighborhood.

As far as Wal-Mart - none in the city yet, Target is about 3 miles north on Elston Ave. From that neighborhood, it may be easier to go downtown for any department stores.

Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

She will have plenty of place to go but like the above person said..it's doing a lot of "rehab" which means it wasn't the best place before. I'm sure your daughter will be fine but it never hurts to carry pepper spray. I live in the nice areas and I still carry one around.

Best of luck to her! My sister is a teacher! :)

Memphis
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago's West Side: St. Callistus School

Thanks so much for all of the good information. This forum is wonderful.