We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public transport

how can I travel between Shelbyville & Indianapolis by bus? is there a bus or train from Shelbyville to Chicago?

7 replies to this topic
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport

Indianapolis doesn't have very good public transportation. No public train or bus service to Shelbyville. You could look to hire a private driver and/or limo service. Or consider options like Uber or Taxi. Depending on what part of Indianapolis you need to get to, probably a 30 minute drive by car. Could you rent a car? Indianapolis is very easy to get around and not much traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,999 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport

I'm on my phone so it's a pain for me to check, but see if there is an airport shuttle from Shelbyville to the Indy airport; from there you'll have multiple options to downtown Indy.

This is a little trick that often works in public transit poor areas of the US.

Might be able to check for one myself later when I'm on my computer,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,999 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport

I did a little checking yesterday and was unable to find any airport shuttle services from Shelbyville to the Indy airport. All I was finding was Limo services, not it appears that some of them (out of Indy) had fixed pricing for this trip. Other option would be taxi, uber, etc. as already pointed out.

To kind of hit your other question, doesn't look like you can get from Sheblyville to Chicago (since there isn't any regular kind of service to Indy), but once you get to Indy, you're going to have multiple options.

There is Megabus, Amtrak trains (or at least an Indiana version) that runs from Indy to Chicago (but I'm not sure it's daily service), and probably Greyhound and maybe a few others.

Good luck,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport

Thnx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport

Thnx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport

Thanks for taking the time to do this research for me

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport

Thought maybe i would be lucky enough to find something that may have been missed but looks like Hunt did his homework. Nothing at all but dead ends. Couldnt even verify a taxi in town. Sites did mention $24-28 for Uber. Sometimes i hear the online quotes are a bit deflated from the actual charge but i speak in ignorance. I never used them and most cedtainly they could be your best and cheapest option. Otherwise probably calling a cab from Indy which would be considerably more. I dont believe it gets much worse for getting somewhere without a car than there. Many people frown on the idea but Craigslist is another option via services/transportation.

Any how, the best of luck to you. As already stated, if you can get to Indy, Greyhound (several times daily) Mega Bus (few times daily i believe) and Amtrak (once daily) will all get you to Chicago. So the hard part is finding your way to INDY.

Reply to: Public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shelbyville
Recent Conversations