We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get form Purdue University to Airport

Davis, California
Level Contributor
353 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get form Purdue University to Airport

Hello,

I need to book air travel for someone to travel out W. Lafayette to Los Angeles. Looks like flights out of Indianapolis are expensive but there is a cheaper shuttle. I can't find a shuttle to Midway Chi at all and the one to ORD is pretty pricey. Does anyone have experience traveling in and out of the area who can advise as to what is the most cost effective way to travel. The traveling party is a student at Purdue (a freshman) so I want to make it easy for him. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Lafayette
Lafayette
Indiana
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
3 replies to this topic
Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get form Purdue University to Airport

soashuttle.com/locations/…

Hope this helps. Midway and Ohare are much farther from Purdue than Indy. Also, I think Indy is a easier option.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 03:41
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get form Purdue University to Airport

Some additional comments:

1. I absolutely agree that IND is much more convenient that either of the Chicago airports (for various reasons, not strictly based on proximity). Among others are the fact that the airport is *much* newer and as it was designed post-9/11 is well designed for our new traveling "world." Also, being a smaller airport you really can "whiz in & out" rather easily.

2. While it's somewhat true you won't regularly find super cheap fares out of IND, but you also don't get gouged like at some airports. For example: I once noticed that a flight from IND to SF was going through Cincinnati so, given my location, I checked what the fare directly from Cincinnati would be . . . guess what? About $250 more! That's right, the airline was going to charge me $250 LESS to put me on a plane & fly me to Cincinnati and then put me on the exact same plane.

3. All of these fare aspects are influenced by the fact that while served by most airlines, nobody has a dominant position in the Indy market. You don't get gouged by the airline that has most of the gates, but you also don't get a price war by someone trying to get into the market.

4. Southwest does serve Indy and while they rarely have the real bargains you may see at other airports, their fares are generally reasonable (albeit sometimes with extra stops).

5. I've gotten good fares from SAC to IND on Southwest before and it's worth noting that one airline (United?) has recently started non-stop service to SFO; even better the times are really convenient.

That's my $.02,

hlo

Mentioned in this post
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get form Purdue University to Airport

Ooops, on the last point I made, I focused on your "Davis" location than the question (which asked about LA).

Look at Southwest for IND to BUR as a possible cheaper option than LAX.

hlo

Reply to: Best way to get form Purdue University to Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Lafayette