We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

Save Topic
anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

anyone have younger kids..what is there to do around cedar rapids. We r thinking of moving and I'm a stay at home mom of two little boys.. 3 and 1.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
520 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

Cedar Rapids and Iowa City (about 30 miles south) between them have a children's museum, a science center, an art museum, a small zoo, a reservoir, a fossil gorge, some nice parks and excellent schools. I'm not sure what you're looking for or where you're coming from, but CR tends to be ranked highly in lists of affordable, family friendly communities.

Mentioned in this post
Iowa
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

Cedar Rapids is very friendly to stay at home moms. Story times at the local libraries are held at least twice a week. For good or for bad, one way to meet other moms is through church groups, especially the MOPS, , mother of preschoolers. If the weather is good, the parks are also great meeting places. Housing is affordable

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
397 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

Housing in Cedar Rapids is much more affordable than Iowa City. I know as I've lived in both. However, Iowa City is much more interesting culturally than Cedar Rapids.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
22 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

We have three kids ages 5,7,9 and have lived in CR about three years and love it. It's not a "go go go" kind of life style but it's very family friendly and just a nice place to raise kids. If your one that loves to shop and the nightlife Iowa City is a better fit. If your in that stage of life that Target will do a small mall CR is great!

There are several museums, great pools, really active library with lots of programs. Two nature centers, I personally like Wikiup Hill in Toddsville just north of CR. Lots of active moms groups in town and it's a friendly community in general.

One thing I will point out is depending on your realtor (if your buying) there is one realtor in town that is also a main builder. When we moved here there was a lot of pressure to buy in Marion from them (because they are building there :). Marion is a good community also. We ended up buying in Cedar Rapids NE, schools have been great. Some CR schools are better than others. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 00:17
Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
709 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

Cedar Rapids is a wonderful place to raise children. Cedar Rapids has everything you need. Yes, Iowa City has more night life, due to the fact that it is a college town. If you already have kids, you are no longer at that stage anyway. One of my favorite things is the parks system. There are many large, wonderful parks within the city. The schools are top notch. Beaver Park Zoo is the small zoo that is referred to in the above posts. There are also a few museums. Cedar Rapids is about 4 hours from Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Louis and 5 to Kansas City.

Mentioned in this post
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
397 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

Iowa City offers much more than great nightlife! Iowa City offers a ton of great locally owned restaurants. The university offers tons of cultural events. We have a lot of wonderful live music, theatre, sporting events, and family activities going on year round. Downtown Iowa City is bustling with activity all the time. We have a great trail system and beautiful parks. I lived in CR for 8 years and enjoyed it very much, but it pales in comparison to Iowa City on many levels. I much prefer Iowa City. Plus, Iowa City doesn't smell. :)

Edited: 28 July 2014, 11:28
Mentioned in this post
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
105 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

Or you can live in the corridor between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids...There's lots of great small towns around, that offer that type of living, close to the city.

There are also 3 minor league teams for baseball, hockey and football.

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

Hi, I am moving to CR from Cincinnati with one 2 year old and a 11 year old. Any recommendations for school and neighborhood?

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: anyone have kids in cedar rapids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2017, 09:57
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Rapids