We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch out for speed camera tickets in Iowa

La Crosse, Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Topic
Watch out for speed camera tickets in Iowa

In Cedar Rapids I learned about speed cameras one evening during a tornado warning when I was just trying to get back to where I was staying. Only a few MPH over the limit, on deserted Hwy 380, but an automatic ticket was waiting in my mailbox when I returned home.

Mentioned in this post
25 replies to this topic
Illinois
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Watch out for speed camera tickets in Iowa

Wow, great first post that lets everyone know just who you are in a few sentences. Iowa is a wonderful state with wonderful people and Cedar Rapids is a progressive area that often appears on the "best places to live" list. Anyone from Buffalo NY commenting on bad driving in CR is hilarious!

Mentioned in this post
NY
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Watch out for speed camera tickets in Iowa

I live near to Buffalo and it is an OK place these days, but last week I drove all the way across Iowa on I 80 and back and spent a couple of days in Cedar Rapids.

The places I saw in Iowa were beautiful with all the green crops -beans and corn- and even the windmills in the rolling hills of western Iowa were in my mind beautiful and graceful. I thought CR was delightful as well - there is a lot of history and culture I did not realize existed.

Of course in the winter I assume the snow presents a different picture, but even then the snow should stay a lot cleaner than in Buffalo

Re speed cameras, there is a lot of construction and in many places the camera warning is very clear. Obeying the speed limit is a lot better than a huge fine and or prison for hitting a worker

Mentioned in this post
Iowa
Level Contributor
12,328 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Watch out for speed camera tickets in Iowa

LOL! Isn't it funny how someone like habby can be so rude and crude about people being rude?

Karma, my friends.

All you need to do is watch for speed zone changes and set that cruise control when traveling on 380. We locals are used to it now, and watch our speed, after each contributing to the city funds a time or two. So if you move with the traffic, you'll probably be fine.

Happy travels!

Edited: 29 June 2016, 01:37
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Watch out for speed camera tickets in Iowa

A citation from a speed camera on a stretch of interstate (I-380) that is straight and level which raises the question of why the speeds were so spuriously reduced in such a location. An online article in Des Moines Register dated June 20, 2015 by Kathy A. Bolten stated that in March 2015 “the Iowa Department of Transportation ruled that 10 automated traffic enforcement cameras be turned off because they did not make the roads safer.” The same article noted that Cedar Rapids was challenging that ruling in district court and had litigation pending AGAINST the DOT related to the rules the state agency had developed to oversee the enforcement cameras on Iowa’s highways. If the cameras are not serving the purpose of making the roads safer, then the only other conclusion is they are a means to increase the municipal’s revenue. An article “Threats on traffic camera tickets violated law” by B.A. Morelli in The Gazette on September 30, 2015 indicated the poor operating practices by the city of Cedar Rapids in threatening citizens with negative credit reports which was a violation of state law (which purportedly has been corrected). The article stated, “Traffic camera programs have come under fire in Cedar Rapids perhaps as much as anywhere. Locations on Interstate 380, said to be the only permanent cameras on interstates in the nation, issue more than 90,000 tickets a year. … Critics contend the cameras are a money making scheme….” (page 2), Their speed camera practice does not bode well for Cedar Rapids; their department of tourism might want to take notice.

Mentioned in this post
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
345 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Watch out for speed camera tickets in Iowa

We've been driving to Iowa since 1983, small towns, interstate highways, etc. and never encountered a speed trap. CR is one of the nicest, most progressive cities we've ever been in. If you can't appreciate Iowa, then take your bad attitude back home. I love Iowa and Cedar Rapidians.

Reply to: Watch out for speed camera tickets in Iowa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Rapids