We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way thruough Wichita?

Which Wichita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Overland Park...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way thruough Wichita?

We are visiting Wichita for a soccer tournament. We are staying at the Spring Hill Suites at 1220 N. Greenwich. The soccer fields are on the south-west side of town at the Southlakes fields - 2211 W. 47th street S.

What is the best way to get through town?

Goolge maps says to take I-35 w/tolls. Will any time-savings get chewed up sitting in line to pay a toll?

I'm not concerend with the tolls (don't want to pay them if I have to), but more concerned with traffic, traffic lights. I'd prefer to zip along the highway than sit in traffic on Kellog to save a few bucks.

Is the traffic on Kellog bad on a Saturday afternoon? How many lights are there on Kellog between Greenwich Road and I-135? ?

We may be making the round-trip from the hotel to soccer fields several times a day on Sat / Sun.

Any information is greatly appreicated!

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
660 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way thruough Wichita?

The way they are taking you is utilizing the Kansas Turnpike. You will not be on Kellogg very long going this route, and will be the quickest I would say. I am not sure how many lights there will be. The other routes would take you much further into the city, with conjestion and road work, and many more stop lights. The only other possible option if you don't want to pay tolls could be to take Greenwich Rd all the way South to 47th St. and then go across to Meridian and South to the ball fields. This would be through less populated areas.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
660 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way thruough Wichita?

Looks like the final option, according to Rand McNally, would add about 10 minutes to your travel time. From 24 - 36 minutes. I have always found Rand McNally's travel times to be a bit padded.

Overland Park...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way thruough Wichita?

Thanks - so you are saying to avoid taking Kellogg from Greenwich to I-135? That route has stop lights and construction (except for the short distance on Kellogg to get to I-35).

Is Kellogg the "main-street" thu town?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way thruough Wichita?

Kellogg is the main street, through Wichita East - West, but downtown it is a freeway. To that address, I would take the turnpike all the way.

I rarely have to wait in line to pay toll or only wait behind one vehicle. You only pay when getting on and off the Turnpike. It isn't like the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey where you pay every so often.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
660 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way thruough Wichita?

No, not at all JR-OP. You are on the Kellogg a short time from Greenwich to the Turnpike (I-135). If you took the route with the stop lights and construction, the "bad route" it would also be along Kellogg, to I-135 South just before you get to downtown. (A bit confusing, huh. We refer to I-35 South as I-35 and what you are seeing as I-135 as the Turnpike.)

Lighhouse is correct, there is usually not a big wait at the toll booth. However, you only pay once, when you get off.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way thruough Wichita?

Opps. Yes, you stop twice. You pay once.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way thruough Wichita?

I-35 (Kansas Turnpike-KTA) is just over 1 mile west of Greenwich Rd. on Kellogg Ave.

I-135 is approx. 6 miles to your west also on Kellogg. I-135 runs through Wichita North-South but either route will get you to 47th street.

I-135 runs north through town originating at the south Kansas Turnpike entrance while I-35 goes northeast through Wichita but both roads originate at the south turnpike entrance.

Taking the turnpike to 47th street south would be the fastest,you only have a light at Greenwich and at Webb Road and then the turnpike entrance. When you exit the turnpike you will need to drive a short distance north in order to get to 47th street and then turn left(west). Traffic should not be a problem which ever route you take nor will going through the toll booths.

8. Re: Best way thruough Wichita?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Wichita