We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
123 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Boothbay Harbor?

I've gotten such great recommendations for our upcoming trip that I thought I'd try again.

We're spending two days, two nights in BBH in early June. What kind of things will be open? I thought about a day-long cruise but don't want to miss out on other things, if there's a lot to do.

We're two laid-back people who are up for anything -- Hiking, shopping, fishing, boating, etc. Thanks!!

Atlanta, Georgia
14 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do in Boothbay Harbor?

You have touched on the transition from a casual visitor that lives in temporary quarters to a person from away that takes the plunge -- a cottage rental.

How many times have you wanted a lobster, steamers, or alcohol at supermarket or better prices? How many times have you responded to the server's query asking if you wanted a "to go" box with you are travelling and have no place to keep or re-warm it?

Fiddleheads are similar. They are seasonally readily available in the supermarket. I have never seen them in a restaurant.

However, try this on a future trip. If you strike up a conversation with a cottage person or a local, lament that you have never had fiddleheads and you would like to try some. You may get a diner invitation.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
167 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do in Boothbay Harbor?

I just got back from Boothbay Harbor, was there for 3 nights and 4 days in late June. CozyHarbor's tips were beyond great. If you don't know what to do in BBH, just read his posts. It did rain one of the days we were there, we went bowling in the old fashioned bowling alley (great fun and something very different then regular bowling, even the ball is different), I shopped in all the little shops and that took up a good 2-3 hours - they do have great little shops. We did not eat a bad meal the whole time we were there. We ate at Ports of Italy, McSeagulls and my favorite was right across from the bowling alley, they serve food and tapas and it was the best menu I have seen anywhere, including New York City. The botanical gardens is a 10 minute drive and you can easily spend anywhere from 1 hour to 2 1/2 hours there. We took a 1 hour cruise around the inner harbor. There are longer cruises too, you can see puffins and whales, etc. Had lunch at the Lobster Dock, very good food but lunch will cost you about $40. It is so peaceful in BBH. Try to go to a B&B that has a nice lawn and chairs to sit on to enjoy the fabulous view. We loved the Topside Inn.

Northern VA
13 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do in Boothbay Harbor?

Tuser, thank you for the trip report. My family will be heading to BBH in a couple of weeks and it helps to hear what others have done.

14. Re: What to do in Boothbay Harbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor