We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Boothbay, Freeport and Ogunquit

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling to Boothbay, Freeport and Ogunquit

Hello to everyone, my husband and I will be in Boothbay starting June 25th for 3 days. I would like any suggestions for the best locations or tours so we can take photos of as many lighthouses and local wildlife as possible. I am sure one of the boat tours would be our best bet but there seems to be so many I am not sure which way to go. It appears that I will be able to get some beautiful pictures just within the Boothbay Harbor. I thank you in advance for your suggestion and I look forward to reading them. jldavis8

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Boothbay, Freeport and Ogunquit

Hi jldavis8,

Lots of lighthouses to see in the BBH area that you can either see from the land or by boat.

By land you can take a 10 to 15 minute drive on route 96 to Ocean Pt. onto Shore Road. This is a loop so you can't get lost. From various locations on Shore Rd you can see 4 lighthouses ie Ram Island, Burnt Island, the Cuckholds and Sequin Island.

Also by land, you can take route 27 south to Southport Island. Turn right at the General Store onto Beach Road, go to end and there's a lovely small beach and Hendricks Headlight. This is about a 10 to 15 minute drive also from downtown.

About a 45 minute drive north is Pemaquid Lighthouse. This is the only lighthouse that I know of where people can actually tour inside and go up to the actual light! The views are awesome to say the least from the top of the lighthouse!

An hour or so drive north from BBH is the St. George Peninsula and Rockland. From the St. George peninsula you can drive to Owl's Headlight and Marshall Pt. Light. Check maps for locations.

Directly In Rockland, you can walk out on the almost mile long wide and safe jetty to the lighthouse. Again, the views are awesome plus you feel like you're in the middle of ocean. This is a great spot to have a picnic lunch and/or fish. The Brown Bag on route 1 just north of downtown Rockland has the best food. I especially like the Gobbler, which made up of fresh roasted turkey carved right off the bird, stuffing and cranberry sauce on homemade bread of your choice. There's just a touch of mayo. This is a huge sandwich and I only eat half! Comes with a pickle and chips.

Back in BBH there's the Captain Fish boat tours. They must offer over a dozen tours and one of them I think is specifically all about lighthouses. Google Captain Fish boat tours, Boothbay Harbor and check things out. He has nice, large heated boats and provides snacks, wine & beer along w/great commentary.

Good luck with the trip and don't forget to post back and let us know how it went :).

cozyharbor

2. Re: Traveling to Boothbay, Freeport and Ogunquit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2009, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor