We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks CozyHarbor and CWVoight!

dallas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Thanks CozyHarbor and CWVoight!

Cozy and CW--Thanks for your great information as I try to plan this trip to Maine (for a distant relation's wedding). It's very kind of you to help strangers on this site!

We're going to ME for a distant relation's wedding. Thu, Fri, and Sat are spoken for; Sun and most of Mon are mine to decide before we head to Boston for 2 days.

Due to the drive times and ferry times, it's looking like we'll have to save Monhegan for another time.

So, now I have to choose between BBH and New Harbor--(NH seems to have less desirable accommodations). Of the two places, which would you recommend? Is the Pemaquid lighthouse an absolute don't-miss?

Where to stay in BBH or NH (assuming I can find lodging at this late date)? What about Edgecomb (although, seeing as how we have NO ocean in Dallas, we'd like to stay on the ocean)?

Finally, do either of you know Van Reid (a fabulous author)? I have all of his books and want to throw myself prostrate before him to beg him to write another book. Or send word via someone who knows him. :)

Thanks again for all of your help and advice. It is truly appreciated.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks CozyHarbor and CWVoight!

You are quite welcome. With respect to your questions, I'll defer to CozyHarbor, who knows much more about that area than do I. Enjoy your stay.

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks CozyHarbor and CWVoight!

Hi Lemalades,

The difference between New Harbor and Boothbay Harbor are many.

New Harbor is strictly a fishing village without a whole lot else going on. Its small, quiet, rustic and charming. If you're looking to really get away from it all, this would be the place for you. The entire Pemaquid peninsula is lovely, offering a step back in time. There's the lighthouse with its breathtaking views from inside the top of the lighthouse itself and surrounding area. Christmas Cove, Pemaquid beach (one of the few sandy beaches in the midcoast)and Round Pond. There are a few, what looks to be like very nice B&Bs and Inns from the outside, near the lighthouse. There are some restaurants scattered here and there.

I've never stayed overnight in the area, being its only 45 minutes from BBH, so I can't recommend accomodations. Consequently, you might want to google Damariscotta to get their Chamber/Visitor's site as they'll carry info about the entire Pemaquid peninsula, what to do and see, links to accomodations, etc.

Boothbay Harbor in contrast is a very busy, active fishing village plus tourist destination. Its also home to lots and lots of old summer colonies and cottages. There are many shops, art galleries, restaurants and accomodations.

In addition there is the Boothbay Region Land Trust, a non-profit organization that preserves land for all to enjoy, that offers miles of hiking trails (some as short as a 1/2 mile and very easy, some up to 3 to 4 miles in length w/some steep terrain). Many of these trails lead to gorgeous views of the ocean, rivers, coves and inlets.

There's also the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens which are beautiful and include lots of trails that lead to gardens of all kinds, statues, sculptures and ponds and views to the water. These trails are more like walking paths and are not very rigorous and easy for just about everyone. There's always a revolving art show in the Visitor's Center along with a cozy cafe sort of restaurant.

In addition there's a couple of small rocky/sandy, low to mid-tide beaches, views to 5 different lighthouses, a small Aquarium that is great for kids, boat tours of every kind, the Opera House which puts on live performances that include commediennes, music, plays and lectures. Currently its going through some reno's but is still open to the public with a production of Forever Plaid. I could go and on.

If you decided to stay in BBH there are numerous choices of waterfront accomodations or ones with views. Check out www.boothbayharbor.com, the Chamber's Visitor's site. This will give you info and links on just about everything you'd want to know about BBH. You could also purchase or borrow a copy of Christina Tree's "Maine: An Explorer's Guide". I've been using her guide whenever I travel outside of the BBH area in Maine and she's never steered me wrong!

Good luck with your plans and don't forget to post back and let us know how things went!

cozyharbor

dallas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks CozyHarbor and CWVoight!

Wow! Fantastic info!

I was leaning toward BBH and I am now decided!

The Land Trust trails really appeal to us.

I cannot thank you enough and I will certainly let you know how it all turns out.

If you've never read Van Reid's books, btw, I highly recommend them.

Thank you, thank you!

4. Re: Thanks CozyHarbor and CWVoight!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2009, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor