We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to Do in BBH

North Babylon, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Things to Do in BBH

We arrive next week and am looking forward to a great week. Can someone suggest somewhere that my husband can do some fishing for few hours. He's not looking for a day on a chartered boat, just some simple fishing by himself. Any other recommendations for dinner or sightseeing would be appreciated.

chicopee ma
Level Contributor
137 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to Do in BBH

Some of the charters go out for four hours. If he wants to fresh water fish lke Pemaquid nearby has a campground that rents boats but he will need a license.Fun places,there is a small aquarium in town Pemaquid Lighthouse as well as art gallery is close by.Reid State Park is great and has great views of the coast and a sandy beach.Fort williams is a colonial restoration out near Pemaquid.For eats try the Ebb Tide not fancy but a good local place.Robinsons Wharf out in Southport serves fish lobsta etc outside on the water Should be fun mike

North Babylon, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to Do in BBH

I didn't think about a license. Would he need one if he fished anywhere?

Maine
Level Contributor
857 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to Do in BBH

Hi Yackswife,

One of the most delightful and fun places to go fishing is off the swing bridge on Townsend Gut leading out to Southport Island.

This is a great spot and only a very short drive from downtown BBH, maybe 10 minutes or so. From the bridge you can drop a pole plus watch all boating action and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Not sure where you'd park, but I see people there all the time fishing, so they must park nearby and walk a bit.

Another area that might be good for fishing is off the town dock at Ocean Pt. off of route 96.

For dinner if you're looking for lobster,steamers, etc., try the Lobster Dock on the East Side or Robinson's Wharf just over the swing bridge I mentioned on Southport Island. Both locations are directly on the water, have good basic food and wonderful views with sunsets. These are also what many would consider lobster shacks and are rustic with mostly outdoor seating at picnic type tables.

Other good places that I frequent often are the Uptown Grille right on route 27 (no great views but excellent food, nice atmosphere and great people who work and run it, all at good prices).

The Thistle on Oak St. offers inside and outside dinning and two different menus. Opt for outside dining if the weather's nice. You can order froom the Pub Menu if you're on a budget as the main menu can be quite expensive.

For a lively atmosphere w/rock music starting somewhere around 8 or 9pm, try McSeagull's which is on the water. The food is average to good depending on what you order and the ambience is fun. Excellent crab cakes and qaesidilla's from the appetiser menu!

Another good place for indoor or outdoor dining is the Rocktide on the East Side. There's the more formal dining room and the more casual bar and outside areas. I like both. Beware that parts of the outdoor dining area only offer appetisers, etc. There is usually live piano music at night.

For breakfast and/or lunch, try the Ebb Tide on Commercial St. This is a tiny hole in the wall restaurant with about 10 tables. Very rustic but excellent blueberry pancakes, peach shortcake, scrambled eggs and omelets, chowders and sandwiches. They make one of the best burgers in town. The Ebb Tide does not have a liquor license.

Also check out the Blue Moon Cafe for lunch. They offer anything from qaesidillas to cobb sandwiches to burgers. They also offer wine and beer.

As for must see's in BBH, do not miss the drive out to Ocean Pt. Take route 96 at the traffic light by Hannafords Supermarket and follow till the end.

Either park in the Grimes Cove lot and walk to the Ocean Pt Inn and back (about 2 miles) or drive instead for awesome views out to 4 lighthouses, islands, crashing waves on the rocks, pretty summer cottages with flowers everywhere and gorgeous sunsets. There is also a wonderful restaurant open for dinner at the Ocean Pt. Inn. The food and views are excellent.

On the way into the Harbor, stop at the Chamber of Commerce Visitor's Center right on route 27 on the right for their guidebook and map, tons of pamphlets on stuff to do and see and any questions you may have.

Enjoy !

cozyharbor

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to Do in BBH

I believe that your husband would only need a fishing license when fishing in freshwater. Recreational fishermen who fish in saltwater don't require a license.

maine.gov/IFW/licenses_permits/fishing.htm

North Babylon, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to Do in BBH

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've been reading your forums and you are always so helpful. It's obvious you really love the area. I'm so looking forward to spending time there.

6. Re: Things to Do in BBH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 14:33
Get answers to your questions about Boothbay Harbor