We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Boston to Bar Harbor in October

Nicholasville...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Boston to Bar Harbor in October

We are flying into Boston the first week in October. We thought about driving to Kennebuckport and staying for 2 nights, then going to Camden for 2 nights and Bar Harbor for 2 nights. Are these the towns you would recommend visiting? Would you recommend Portland rather than Kennebuckport or some other town. We would like to stay in B&Bs and also see the fall foliage.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
2 replies to this topic
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Boston to Bar Harbor in October

Welcome to Trip Advisor in general and the Maine Forum in particular....

Kennebunkport, Camden and Bar Harbor are all fair-sized coastal towns by Maine standards. Portland, by comparison, is Maine's largest city, but is still small compared to cities in many other states. Portland itself has a population of about 60,000, or about twice the size of Nicholasville. But it's a friendly city with a small-town feel and would also make a great overnight destination. If you prefer B&B's, you'll probably have better luck in the smaller towns, although Portland does have a few. You might consider one night in Kennebunk on your way north from Boston, two nights in Camden, two nights in Bar Harbor, and a night in Portland on your way back to Boston -- giving you a head-start on your drive from Bar Harbor back to Boston and a chance to experience Portland's Old Port District and see the Portland Head Light lighthouse... But your original plan certainly is workable if small towns are more appealing.

Fall foliage timing in various parts of the state varies from year to year depending on weathere conditions during the summer, temperature conditions in September and other factors. Looking at the Maine Dept of Conservation reports for the past three years shows that foliage color along Maine's coastal regions is generally rated as "moderate" during the first week in October.... so you should have a good chance of seeing fall color while you're here.... Because you will be coming in foliage season, I'd get my room reservations made as soon as you can -- some folks reserved their rooms for this years season when they were here last year....

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Kennebunk
Kennebunk
Kennebunks, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Old Port
Old Port
1,015 Reviews
Portland, ME
Portland Head Light
Portland Head Light
1,841 Reviews
Cape Elizabeth, ME
Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Boston to Bar Harbor in October

Lucky, lucky you! We've done this trip dozens of times & it's a different, wonderful experience each time. Booking rooms is your biggest challenge, but you may be able to score on a cancellation. Here's my BIG advice: don't over engineer on planning your route. There are no wrong turns heading North in Southern Maine in October. Kennebunkport is a 90- minute drive from Logan Airport by highway but should you choose to pull off the at Kittery (& get past the several blocks of outlet malls) you'll pass some great lobster shacks & antique shops & soon find yourself in Ogunquit, where you can stretch your legs along Marginal Way, a stunning shoreline path. Charming areas abound in the Kennebunks and to get to Camden you'll need drive through Wiscassat. More charm! No rooms in Camden? Try Lincolnville, just a few miles further North, & maybe you'll snag a room at Youngtown Inn - or at least a dinner reservation. If not, go to the Lobster Pound down by the shore & walk the little beach there for beach glass while you're waiting for your table. Should you make it to Bar Harbor get to Cadillac Mountain for sunrise & beautiful, beautiful color.

There's some distance to get to Bar Harbor, but all of the other towns on the Southern Coast are reasonably close, and each has it's own treasures.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Marginal Way
Marginal Way
4,510 Reviews
Ogunquit, ME