We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ogunquit ( footbridge beach) vs old orchard beach

Hugo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Ogunquit ( footbridge beach) vs old orchard beach

My husband and I will Be traveling from Boston to Portland on the 29th of August . We want to spend some time at a beach on our way through . I hear great things about Ogunquit , but want to be able to have good food options near . Old orchard beach seems to have more options ( mainly thinking the shack ). I’m debating stopping at both of them , but worry I will spend a ton on parking .

This will be our first trip to Boston / Maine , and would love some great recommendations .

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Ogunquit ( footbridge beach) vs old orchard beach

I'm not sure why you'd need a number of different food options for just one stop. Just choose a "destination restaurant" and go there. Are you looking for lobster?

Old Orchard and Ogunquit are entirely different atmospheres. OOB has a carnival section, French fry stands, a row of motel after motel after motel and tons of beachgoers on the miles long beach. You might not want to park a carful of your stuff here but I don't know what you'll have in your car.

Ogunquit is more of a seaside village with shoppes and higher-end dining than OOB for the most part. For just a short stop it might not be worth the probable traffic snarls that you might encounter heading in and out of town.

Not sure what you mean by some "beach time", are you just looking to stop and dine near the ocean or are you planning to bring chairs, sunbathe etc ...stay for a while?

Glens Falls
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
2. Re: Ogunquit ( footbridge beach) vs old orchard beach

We have stayed in Ogunquit for 30 plus years and I absolutely love footbridge beach! Parking will run about 20.00 weather you stay 5 minuets or 5 hours. Ogunquit / Wells has many wonderful Restuarant choices. The Streakhouse on Route 1, Barnacle Billy’s in Perkins Cove, and Jonathan’s just to name a few favorites. If you get a chance don’t miss Marginal Way, a mile walk on Maine’s rocky coast! The views are breathtaking!

Old Orchard Beach we have been stay at for the past 3 years because we go to be near friends. This area is definitely a whole different atmosphere. Very tourist, young, a fair like vibe. We stay at a place right on the beach but we have parked later in the day in public parking and it runs about 10-12 dollars no matter how long your there. Not sure if you went earlier in the day if it would be more? We have been to a couple good restaurants with our friends as they know this area like we know Ogunquit, however the restaurants they have brought us to are not right in Old Orchard but typically further North. One place is a BBQ place, Dave’s BBQ? Then there was a 50’ Style place in Saco, can’t remember the name.

If you have young kids I guess maybe OOB but if it is to relax and enjoy with your signifcant other I highly recommend Ogunquit. Either way enjoy! Maine is beautiful!

Edited: 07 August 2018, 10:17
Hugo, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Ogunquit ( footbridge beach) vs old orchard beach

Thanks this helps so much ! We have a few hours , and this will be our first trip without our daughter . I don’t want a touristy or young feel . Just relaxing and nice ! Ogunquit it is !

Reply to: Ogunquit ( footbridge beach) vs old orchard beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Old Orchard Beach