We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Things to do Christmas Week in Mid-Coast Maine

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
178 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Things to do Christmas Week in Mid-Coast Maine

My husband and I will be visiting Maine (our first trip to the state) for a week starting December 23rd. We're staying in Rockport at the Samoset and I'm interested in some ideas for "must see" locations - we definitely want to go snowmobiling but aren't planning on skiing. I definitely would like to see the ice fishing huts (something I've never seen except on TV) so I was thinking a day trip up to Acadia Nat'l Park would be in order? We also like going to wineries (although I know many are shut down for the season), and breweries and distilleries are also a good bet. We want to pick up "Made in Maine" items such as maple syrup and handcrafted items and visit some of those quintessential New England towns (I'm from the South).

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
New England
New England
United States
3 replies to this topic
Phippsburg, Maine
Level Contributor
311 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Things to do Christmas Week in Mid-Coast Maine

FYI, the Samoset is in Rockland, not Rockport, although the two are only about 5 miles apart.

You are perfectly situated to see all the best coastal villages on the mid coast by just picking a direction on Rte. 1 and driving. Also, there's no need to drive all the way to Acadia to see ice fishing, you'll see shacks on just about any pond you drive by. Of course, Acadia is worth a trip in and of itself, but it's a good 2 1/2 hr. or more drive from the Samoset, which means a good part of the daylight hours would be spent on the road. Not much fun in bad weather.

One beautiful sight to see is the Gardens Aglow at Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay Harbor...

www.mainegardens.org/calendar-events/events/

which would be a great evening thing to do after a day of exploring the midcoast peninsulas.

I'm not sure if the wineries are open in the winter, but the craft breweries and distillers definitely are. A quick google can direct you to any number in the midcoast. Oxbow Brewing in Wiscasset is a good one to hit.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Coastal Maine Botanical...
1,466 Reviews
Boothbay, ME
Boothbay Harbor
Boothbay Harbor
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Things to do Christmas Week in Mid-Coast Maine

The Samoset's address is Rockport. I think it must sit on or near the town line.

Anyway - I agree about the ice fishing. My sister lives in the area and said they saw people out on the ice already. It seems a bit soon to trust the ice, but after this weekend's freezing temps, the ice should be more solid. If you want to see rows of ice shacks, you will probably have to head inland a bit to Richmond or Dresden where the smelting camps are set up on the Kennebec River. I'm not sure when their season gets in gear. We used to go in February.

We enjoyed our stop at Split Rock distillery in Newcastle.

It looks like you can visit Cellar Door's Lincolnville location until the 24th: http://mainewine.com/winery/visit/

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
178 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Things to do Christmas Week in Mid-Coast Maine

Thanks for all the tips! We are definitely visiting the Botanical Gardens and will look forward to checking out the distilleries!

Reply to: Help with Things to do Christmas Week in Mid-Coast Maine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockport