We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall calender for Rockport area

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Fall calender for Rockport area

We are considering a trip around 10th October to the Samoset Resort. Dates are fixed. Are we likely to be too late for peak colours in the area? We went to Plymouth NH in early October but we were too early. I am led to understand that peak colour seems to come to the coast earlier.

We of course realise that we are in the hands of the weather but it would be helpful to know where we might stand on an average year.

Schooner Yacht Heron
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall calender for Rockport area

No. Peak color comes to the coast later than it does inland, like Vermont or the Adirondacks of New York. The ocean cools more slowly and keeps the land warmer longer into the fall. October 10th should be about perfect, if we have a typical year.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New York
New York
United States
Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall calender for Rockport area

About 40 minutes south of Rockport on Route 1A is the small village of Damariscotta that holds a pumpkin festival that you would not believe including a parade, pumkin boat racing (in giant pumpkins), pumpkin catapulting, very large decorated throughout town. It should not be missed! http://damariscottapumpkinfest.com/

Mentioned in this post
Damariscotta
Damariscotta
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall calender for Rockport area

Alshepuk -- If history is any indication, your timing could be perfect. Just checked the official State Fall Foliage reports for 2010, 2011 and 2012. All three years the mid-coast area around Rockland was reporting moderate to peak fall foliage around October 10-13.... If, and it can be a big if, this year is like the preceeding three, you should find some great color. Of course, we really won't know until September whether this year's foliage will be early, typical or late... or whether it will be bright, average or muted... part of the intrigue will Fall foliage is the way things can vary from one year to the next.

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall calender for Rockport area

Thank you that is most helpful. Would you say in general that the area is worth a visit even if the colours are not in their prime. We are stuck between North Conway and Rockport. My wife loves the White Mountains but to me the mid coast area looks stunning.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall calender for Rockport area

I would definitely say that the area is worth a visit even if the colors aren't at peak. There will still be some color. Peak is sort of a misnomer anyway. Different species of trees color at slightly different times. There isn't really a day or a week when all of the trees are at perfect peak.

There's lots to do in the Rockland, Rockport, Camden area. The Farnsworth Museum in Rockland is definitely worth a visit. They have a Wyeth Center in an old iconic white church. You can drive about 30 minutes from Rockland and see the old house where Wyeth painted Christina's World and many other paintings. The art museum owns the building and have it nicely done with displays. Andrew Wyeth and Christina are buried in a small cemetery in a cove within walking distance of the house.

Lots of good restaurants in the area. Primo is the best restaurant. It wins awards in the area all the time and that's competing against Boston restaurants.

Be sure to drive to the top of Mount Battie, just north of Camden, for the long view. You can see the mountains of Acadia National Park from there.

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall calender for Rockport area

Camden/Rockland/Rockport is a great area to visit almost anytime of year.... In addition to the Farnsworth Museum, Mt Battie Auto Road and great Rockland restaurants already mentioned by Bonniemaev, it also is close to the Owl's Head Transportation Museum (not just "a bunch of old cars", but everything from motorcycles to airplanes -- you can Google it for a look at some of their collection); the almost next door to the Samoset is the Rockland Breakwater with the lighthouse at the end (interesting walk/scramble for those interested); if you get a wam-weather day, take the Maine State Ferry out to Vinalhaven and walk around that island community (you can take a car but it gets expensive); or for a shorter, less expensive ferry ride, go up the coast to Lincolnville and ride the ferry to Islesboro (I'd go out-and-back, not a lot to see on the island for the public because its mostly big-money, summer places at the ends of long driveways with few if any buildings visible from the street and not much within immediate walking distance of the ferry terminal -- but a nice water's view of the Maine coast on a nice sunny day); or make a nice day-trip either to other points on the coast or an inland loop from Rockland north to Belfast on US Rt 1, inland to Augusta on Rt 3 to visit the State Capital and State Museum before heading back to Rockland via Rt 17 -- some nice rural Maine scenery on both inland routes.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Vinalhaven
Vinalhaven
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Lincolnville
Lincolnville
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Islesboro
Islesboro
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bridgeton NJ
Level Contributor
44 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall calender for Rockport area

I have a second plug for the Damariscotta Pumpkin Fest. I planned my trip around being able to go. Fantastic carved pumpkins along the sidewalk. Fun parade. Contests. The locals are welcoming and happy to share parade watching space. I had a great day both times I went and will be there this year. If you time it right the day after, you can go and watch them smash up the big pumpkins. Sounds weird but it's fun. Then head out to the lighthouse. On the way is a great artists co-op for great shopping. I got a year's worth of gifts there.

8. Re: Fall calender for Rockport area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2016, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Rockport