We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help for ferries

Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need help for ferries

Dear friends,

we are an Italian family of four and will stay in Edgartown in August for three nights 19/22. Before we will be staying in Newport so we are quite worried regarding how to get on martha's island from Newport.

The question is : we decided not to bring our car, but which is the easyest way to reach Edgartown by ferry from Newport, I mean from where ? Someone suggested me Quonsett Place but how long is the ride ? Second: do you TA people agree that for 3 days we do not need the car on the island ? Any recommendation will be very welcome. GRAZIE.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help for ferries

Hello, I agree that you do not need a car in Edgartown for a three-night stay. The ferry from Quonset takes 1 hour, 35 minutes and docks in Vineyard Haven. You will need to get transportation from VH into Edgartown - there are cabs at the dock & there is also a bus. Depending on where you are staying in Edgartown and how much luggage you will have, a cab will probably be the best option for getting to your lodging. While staying on the island, the bus is the best way.

Here is the link for the ferry: http://www.vineyardfastferry.com/

Here is the link for the bus: http://www.vineyardtransit.com/pages/index

Ciao!

Edited: 24 June 2010, 21:05
Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help for ferries

Dear friend, GRAZIE for your reply.

We will be staying at the Harbour View inn and will have four big cases so absolutely need a cab ( any idea about the cost and timing approx.?). Do you think that Quonsett is the best option to take the ferry as we 'll be staying in Newport?

Is parking by the pier in Quonsett easy so that I can leave the car there and get it back on return to reach Boston airport? Any further suggestion is very welcome.Thanks.

Ciao,

Andrea

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
967 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help for ferries

The Vineyard Fast Ferry out of Quonsett, Rhode Island is the fastest and easiest way to get from Newport to Martha's Vineyard. Parking is close to the ferry dock and $10/day. The above suggestion of taking a taxi from the ferry dock to the Harborview is spot on. Once you are settled in Edgartown, you can explore the island via the VTA bus system as noted above or you can rent bikes and head out to South Beach for a fun day in the surf or ride to Oak Bluffs. There are bike paths to both places. The concierge at the Harborview will gladly assist you with planning out your day and suggesting the easiest way for your family to explore the island. Enjoy!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help for ferries

There will be taxi cabs available once you get off the ferry in Vineyard Haven. Doesn't take too long to get down to Edgartown, maybe 20-25 minutes. Last time I used a taxi between the two towns was a few years ago and I believe I paid somewhere around $25. My guess is that it will cost you somewhere around $30-35 but the fine folks on the island can correct me if I'm off base here. * Don't forget to include a 15-20% gratuity to your driver*

Edited: 28 June 2010, 02:05
Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help for ferries

Thank you so much you have been very very useful !

Taormina, Italy
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help for ferries

Thank you very useful infos

7. Re: Need help for ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Edgartown
More Edgartown Topics