We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips in early May

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
day trips in early May

Staying in Falmouth the second week in May. Will a lot of things be closed? We are also interested in taking a few 'day' trips Where should we try to not miss? We are flying into Boston and renting a car to drive to Falmouth for the week.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips in early May

Not to worry. By the second week of May, nearly everything will be up and running in Falmouth and many other towns on the Cape. You'll find plenty of shops, restaurants, pubs, activities and attractions open when you're here.

If you'll give us an idea of the kinds of things you enjoy, I'm sure you'll get lots of day trip and "don't miss" suggestions ...

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,644 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips in early May

It's too early for swimming. What did you have in mind to do?7

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,359 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips in early May

You could do a self-drive lighthouse tour, a great way to see the Cape

capecodtravel.com/attractions/…lhtour.shtml

Also, you might take a daytrip to Martha's Vineyard, the ferry leaves from Woods Hole, a village of Falmouth. Check the "Top Questions" section on the main Cape Cod forum for a helpful thread on doing that. Lots to do there.

Rent bikes and ride the Shining Sea Trail in Falmouth; drive to Sandwich and visit the Heritage Museum & Gardens: http://heritagemuseumsandgardens.org/ There is a Norman Rockwell exhibit starting May 5. The Cape Cod Winery in East Falmouth also opens its tours/tastings on weekends beginning May 5

http://www.capecodwinery.com/

Mentioned in this post
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Woods Hole
Woods Hole
Falmouth, MA
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Cape Cod Winery
Cape Cod Winery
71 Reviews
Falmouth, MA
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips in early May

We have never been in that area, so we really just wantt to explore . see the best it has to offer

We are only in Boston for a day and a half. going to a Thursday night ball game of course. We thought about the on/off bus to get a good tour.

Any restaurants that are a must to show off regional cuisine?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips in early May

Sorry..What do we like to do? Well like most of us, we are over worked exhausted parents looking to escape. It's our 25th anniversary

Husband loves history and I love nature. Lighthouses, whale watching, seafood are all a must. Both would love sailing trip, but I saw that the touring schooner doesn't arrive until summer Any suggestions?

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips in early May

You are so right. I checked the HyLine harbor cruises, the catboat (both from Hyannis) and whales.net and none start until the third week of May. I wonder if other contributors can suggest something to help you to get out on the water. Of course you can hop the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. It's only a 35 minute ride but there's nothing wrong with spending the day in Oak Bluffs and Edgartown.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips in early May

More will be open on the weekends so you may want to plan a day trip to MV then.

Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips in early May

It does appear that the sailing tours, harbor cruises, etc. begin the week after you're here. Hmmmmmm ...

I like kendrick and CCCharlie's idea of a ferry ride to MV.

Another way to get out on the water is kayaking. In/near Falmouth, Waquoit Bay and Washburn Island are great spots for kayaking. I expect there'll be some kayak rentals available in Falmouth by the 2nd week of May.

If you like the idea of kayaking but prefer a guided tour, check out this link: http://www.greatmarshkayaktours.com

For whale watching, you'll have a couple choices. There's a whale watch out of Plymouth - you could plan to do that on your way down to the Cape from Boston. www.captjohn.com/WhaleWatching/schedule.htm

Or you could drive out to Provincetown and take your whale watch cruise from there. It's a bit of a drive from Falmouth, but well worth it. Take your whale watch cruise, then spend the rest of your day touring the National Seashore area. (Plenty of history, lighthouses, and nature there!)

Those are the best ideas I can come up with at the moment for getting out on the water. I'll keep conjuring on it and post back if anything else comes to mind.

Edited: 20 April 2012, 04:13
Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips in early May

Thank you so much for everyone's suggestions. Anythingbcan look good on a website, so it is good to hear from real people..

~kathy

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,562 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trips in early May

Kathy, also look up top beside your screen name for a note.

Get answers to your questions about Falmouth