We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cranberry Farm Tour - Falmouth

Mackay, Queensland...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Cranberry Farm Tour - Falmouth

Hello, we ( 3 adults) are travelling from Australia and will be catching the bus from Boston to Falmouth on our way over to Martha's Vineyard. We will not have a car at this stage. We will be staying in Falmouth from 23 - 25 September and want to see cranberries being harvested. We gather this is the correct time of the year for the harvesting to be happening. Does anyone know of a farm tour or who I can contact to make inquiries about seeing the cranberries. Also would love some recommendations for restaurants, particularly American food! Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cranberry Farm Tour - Falmouth

The Ocean Spray website has a lot of information about cranberries, including the harvest season (mid-September to mid-November) and harvesting methods:

oceanspray.com/Who-We-Are/…Cranberry.aspx

The only harvesting tours I know about are at a bog in Harwich, which is about an hour east of Falmouth (but there are probably many others):

http://www.cranberrybogtours.com/

Around the time of your trip, you might want to check the events calendar of Harwich Conservation Trust (www.harwichconservationtrust.org). They offer free guided nature walks, and last year, one of the walks was centered on the cranberry bog at the link above. (The bog owner donated his time to support the trust.)

Unfortunately, you'll be arriving about a week too late for the annual Cranberry Festival in Harwich...

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Harwich
Harwich
Cape Cod, MA
Yarmouth, MA
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cranberry Farm Tour - Falmouth

I'm not aware of any cranberry harvesting tours in Falmouth. However, that doesn't mean you won't be able to see a bog being harvested.

There are small bogs all over the Cape that aren't advertised and don't offer formal tours. However, if you know where to find them, you can go and watch the harvesting. (Of course, you'd likely have to rent a car or hire a cab to get there.)

I can't think of any specific bog locations in Falmouth. But you might want to contact the Falmouth Chamber of Commerce and ask where you'll be able to find a bog. http://www.falmouthchamber.com

Finally, here's a link you might find helpful: http://www.cranberries.org/visit/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Mackay, Queensland...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cranberry Farm Tour - Falmouth

Thanks for your help. Will contact all sites to see if they have any tours etc.

Falmouth...
Level Contributor
692 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cranberry Farm Tour - Falmouth

You don't have a car? Well my advice might not be helpful to you, but I'll send it along just the same. Maybe you can do something with it.

Every year in October, Makepeace Growers in Wareham has a harvest celebration. Thousands of people attend and it is great. Since Makepeace Cranberries have opened their farm to the public in years past, maybe you can work something out to visit them on your own. If you can make your way up there, I bet someone would be happy to give you a full tour! Unfortunately, Wareham is about a 30-40 minute drive from Falmouth and there's no public transport that will get you there easily.

When to harvest the berries all depends on the growing season. Late September should be pretty ripe for picking, and then on into October. Cranberry bogs are everywhere, you should be able to find something close by. Riding on the bus from Boston, you'll pass by many acres of bog when you're near the Cape.

I'll think about it some more and if I can come up with any more suggestions, I'll send them along. We're very proud of our little berries!

Cheers!

Harry

www.cranberries.org/festival/festival.html

Edited: 16 May 2012, 06:45
Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
5. Re: Cranberry Farm Tour - Falmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Falmouth