We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
Save Topic
Public Transport

Due to visit Peabody 22-25 August, and because we have limited time in Boston, would like to go whale watching while were here. I belive we can do this from Gloucester, but is there public transport, that can get us from Peabody to Gloucester, and vice versa or would it be as easy to go into Boston via train from Salem to do this?

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
10 replies to this topic
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport

You can take the commuter rail from Salem to Gloucester, but how will you get to Salem? There is very little public transportation in Peabody in the area of the hotels. How are you getting to Peabody?

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Newcastle upon...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport

Thank you for your reply, Looks like we may have a problem getting to Salem to get the commuter rail, but no harm in looking into it.

We are visiting my friends father who lives in Peabody, we fly (3 of us) into Boston, get a train to Salem then her father will pick us up. (Unfortunately he has to work when we are there so is unable to drive us around). We have asked her, to ask him the same question, but although a lovely girl she has been going to do this for a month now, and as yet has not:( So my other friend and I decided so find out for ourselves, as we do not want to miss this opportunity.

Sorry a bit long winded:)

Once again thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport

Staying with a friend's family may actually help you, depending on the location. There is MBTA bus service in Peabody that will take you to Salem depot. It's just that the hotels are not near the route. Use google maps and look for directions between your friend's home and Salem depot by public transit and see what you find. Make sure not to enter a weekend day because there may be no service then. If you see a bus route that will work, then you can look at the schedule on mbta.com. If you need any help doing this, just ask. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,834 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport

Lots of people never notice that the google maps directions section has buttons to click for different types of directions. The train button will give you various public transportation options.

In a pinch, you could always take a taxi to public transportation. Or your friend's dad may be willing to drop you off before he heads to work.

Also look into public transportation into Boston. Although Gloucester is geographically closer, transportation might be easier into Boston. There are Whale Watches that leave out of Boston, plus you'll want to spend time in the city anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport

I was also going to suggest taxi service to Salem. North Shore Taxi is one company to consider. There is one other way to Gloucester via public transit, but it appears that it's only an option on Saturdays (I thought it was more often): Cape Ann Transit from the North Shore Mall in Peabody to Gloucester. The route also goes to the Liberty Tree Mall in Danvers which could possibly be closer to your Peabody location. Try both malls with Google Maps. The service isn't frequent so you would need to see if it would work with a whale watch and if the malls are walking distance.

http://www.canntran.com/Default.aspx

I was under the impression that you were staying in Boston for a couple of days and consequently was going to suggest that going to Gloucester would give you a chance to see a different part of Massachusetts. However, now rereading your posts, I think I'm mistaken so going into Boston for the whale watch probably makes more sense given your limited time.

Edited: 18 August 2012, 00:52
Mentioned in this post
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Danvers
Danvers
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Newcastle upon...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport

We are staying in Boston 24th & 25th, then are moving on to Philadelphia 26th, but there looks so much to see in Boston we don't think we will have time to whale watch then.

Christnp2 I did look at the public transpot on google, but coming from England wasn't sure how reliable this was, but I will certainly look at it again thank you. How did we ever manage before google:)

Thank you for all your replys, looks like we are able to do this whilst at Peabody.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport

How much would a taxi be from Peabody to Salem train station?

Mentioned in this post
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Salem
Salem
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport

Why don't you rent a car? You can really use one in Peabody.

Mentioned in this post
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport

North Shore Taxi serves both cities. You can request a quote via their website:

http://nstaxipeabody.com/contact-us/

Alanm is correct, though. It will be difficult to get around Peabody without a car.

Mentioned in this post
Peabody
Peabody
Massachusetts
Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport