We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

We are an older couple that like quiet secluded beaches that are scenic and also love to swim in clean fresh water ponds. We are looking to rent a small cottage or studio in Truro or Eastham or nearby. What are the best beaches and ponds in the area? Thanks so much for any advice.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

If I tell you where the secluded beaches and ponds are they won't be very secluded for long! LOL!

Suffice it to say that there are plenty of places on the outer cape to choose from...from Eatham to Truro. When you have chosen your lodging, ask the owner for suggestions in the area. The local innkeepers and owners know places they only tell their guests.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,237 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

The closest ponds I know of are in Wellfleet. They are not secluded and you need a Wellfleet beach sticker to park there when the parking lot is staffed. After 6pm and before 8am you can go without a sticker.

The National Seashore beaches are great. At most of them, a 10 minute walk gets you away from the crowds and into some pretty quiet areas.

Unfortunately, I do not know,of much secluded lodging ... hopefully somebody else can help there. I regularly stay in Truro on Rte 6A. I have had fun stays at The Topmast, the Crow's Nest and Days' Cottages. All attract families with kids and are not particularly quiet.

When do you plan to visit.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 03:26
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

The good thing about the National Seashore beaches is that you can always move up or down the beach a bit for some solitude. They are nothing like Jones Beach in New York. The rangers but off admission when the parking lot is filled. At that point the beach is still relatively uncrowded.

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

Thanks for your responses. I am going to book a cottage or apt thru Vrbo or Air bnb rather than stay at a hotel. I am wondering if Ministers pond is nice for swimming. I am considering a cottage that is a short walk from Ministers pond in Eastham. Thanks

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

I do not think that you can swim at Ministers Pond, at least not officially. It does not have a town run beach (or any beach that i am aware of). You can use Google Maps to reconnoiter the shoreline. Some homes that front the pond may have swimming access but not for the general public.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

If the cottage you're contemplating is part of the small, Nauset Haven "colony", swimming in Minister's Pond is among the on-site activities listed on the Nauset Haven homeowners association's web site:

www.visitnausethaven.com/onsiteactivities.htm

It looks inviting!

…homeaway.com/mda01/f78880d2-6384-4a5c-abc5-…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

P.S. Perhaps the reviews posted with Nauset Haven cottage listings on VRBO or HomeAway will shed light on whether road noise is bothersome, etc. You can read through them all by clicking the squares on this map which have the direct link to each property's listing:

http://www.visitnausethaven.com/cottages.htm

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

Information from the OP was vague. Sounded as if she was looking in general in two towns. No specific venue mentioned. Nauset Haven would not have a lot of activity. Generally, "quiet and secluded" are not characteristic of Cape Cod beaches. Perhaps one of the ponds in Wellfleet would suit them, such as Great Pond or Gull Pond.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

Do keep in mind that cottage colonies attract families during the summer season so you can expect some lively activity around your cottage if you stay in July and August.

Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Truro and OUter Cape Beaches and swimming ponds

Thank you all for your responses. I was looking at a tiny secluded cottage that was not part of a colony in the woods. I think it was next to a main house. It was down the road from Ministers pond in Eastham. I really don't need the beaches to be secluded but do prefer a more quiet, less populated beach. I have been to the Cape before but have not stayed in the OUter Cape for over 15 years. I love swimming ponds. I also was looking at a couple of studios in Truro. I am trying to avoid the colonies. Thanks again for any advice.

Get answers to your questions about Truro