We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providence to Waltham

Crestwood, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Providence to Waltham

How far exactly is Waltham from Providence? My parents are flying into Boston Logan and renting a car to go to Waltham. They have offered to pick me up, so I don't need to rent a car, otherwise we will have two cars when we only need one. Are trains and public transportation easy? Is there a way to get from the Providence airport to Logan so they don't have to be to inconvenienced?

Thanks,

AnnaGrace

Boston
Level Contributor
382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Providence to Waltham

Mapquest says an hour to drive, which sounds about right. You should be able to take a bus or shuttle from TF Green airport (it's in Warwick, RI, outside Providence) to the amtrak station in the city - someone else should be able to help out with that part. To make things easier on both of you, there's no reason for you to go all the way to Logan. Amtrak and the commuter rail both stop at the route 128 station, which is an easy drive from Waltham.

If you wanted to make it easier on your parents, though, you'd take amtrak or the commuter train from Providence to South Station and then transfer to the silver line, which would bring you to Logan airport.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Providence to Waltham

I used to live in Waltham. You can probably drive from Waltham to the city of Providence in an hour if there is no traffic. However, Providence airport is another 15-20 minutes beyond the city of Providence, and there is usually traffic, so you are looking at more like an hour and a half to drive from Providence airport to Waltham.

If you want to get from Providence Airport to Boston Logan without driving, the most direct way is by Bonanza/Peter Pan Bus (http://www.peterpanbus.com/), which offers direct bus service between the two airports a few times per day. If the direct bus connection is not at a convenient time, you can catch the frequent RIPTA (Rhode Island Public Transportation Authority) bus from the airport to Kennedy Plaza in downtown Providence. From Kennedy Plaza, Bonanza/Peter Pan provides hourly service to Boston Logan. I don't recommend taking the train from Providence to Boston if your goal is to reach Logan Airport, because this would require an additional transfer at Boston South Station to the MBTA Silver Line to get to Boston Logan Airport. Also the Amtrak station in Providence is just far enough from the downtown bus terminal that you might have trouble finding it.

If you wanted to get from Providence Airport to Waltham without a car, that would be more complicated. It would also depend on where in Waltham you want to arrive. But you would want to take the RIPTA bus to downtown Providence, then find your way to the Amtrak station. From there, you could take either the Amtrak train or the MBTA commuter rail train to Back Bay Station in Boston. Change there to the MBTA Orange Line toward Oak Grove. Get off at North Station. From there you can take the MBTA commuter rail to either the downtown Waltham Station or the Brandeis Station at Brandeis University on the west side of Waltham.

3. Re: Providence to Waltham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Waltham