We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

Decatur, Illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

Is there a route from central Illinois to southwestern Michigan that bypasses Chicago traffic?

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

Do you have access to a paper map or google maps (on a computer)?

72 to 74 to 41 to 65 will take you to Gary IN or you can take 94 to southwest Michigan. Obviously if you're going in the afternoon you'll still hit outbound rush-hour.

There are other two lane roads that will take you farther east, just check on a map or google .

Edited: 22 June 2017, 23:00
Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
957 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

East to US41

US 41 north to US 24

East on US 41 and then go north

US31 goes north but it all depends on where your final destination is

Level Contributor
2,720 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

Or pick up 24 east on any route going north and follow to 421 north bound to 94. Two laners with slower speed limits though. Chances are your going to spend more time trying to avoid Chicagoland than just driving through it. (except possible rush hours) but the drive would be nice.

Cedarville, Michigan
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

Coming from anywhere in central Illinois, you eventually would take I-80 EAST toward Indiana and then I-94 East to Michigan. You don't go through Chicago from central Illinois so no side roads really needed.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

You don't need to take any of these.

From Decatur, just take #I74 NB until you get to #24. Take it EB until you get to #421 NB go north to #10EB. Take it to #35 NB to LaPorte. Then #39 NB. Goes right into New Buffalo, MI, from the south.

I won't say that you won't run into Chicago-type traffic up in New Buffalo, if you are traveling on the weekend, particularly returning on Sunday afternoon into evening.

Edited: 26 June 2017, 02:12
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

Now that I think about it...If you are OK with not stopping for eating, etc. when you get that far north in Indiana, when you are taking #10, just take #39 NB. I mentioned #35 because it goes through both Knox and then LaPorte.

#39 is mostly country driving. Unless, of course, you want to visit the metropolis of Toto. ;)

7. Re: Bypass Chicago going to Michigan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2018, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about New Buffalo
More New Buffalo Topics