We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in July

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in July

Hey folks! Will be in town for the weekend of July 5th-8th for a wedding for a good buddy of mine. Wedding is at Blue Dress Barn in Benton Harbor, MI so my question is: should we stay in St. Joseph or Benton Harbor? Not too concerned with price for hotel, just want to be close to the wedding site or in a quaint area as it'll also be my wifes bday too. I'll be renting a car also, so can drive if that helps! Thanks!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,805 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in July

st joe is the better of the two from a tourist perspective... it's more of a tourist town with a lively downtown area... BH, on the other hand, has seen better days, plus it's more of an industrial town along the river front.... now that's not to say there aren't good places to stay there (we've stayed at a nice B&B in benton township along the st joe river and it was great, but they've closed up shop)..... there is an effort to bring back BH, but personally, i wouldn't recommend staying there at this time....

that said, there are several hotels in st joe... the silver beach hotel gets mixed reviews, but it's in a great location and walking distance to everything...as is the boulevard hotel....

you could consider staying 20 minutes north in south haven, which is another great beach town with a nice harbor scene.....

if you go to my profile page, check out my reviews of places in st joe and SH..... we really liked the sun n sand resort, which for the price, is a bargain....

beachtowns.org

harborcountry.org

just so you know, be prepared for lodging sticker shock as you will be visiting during HIGH season.... but, i'm sure you'll love the area and want to come back!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
992 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in July

The Blue Dress Barn is a bit in the country -- so not close to anything in particular. I would definitely stay in St Joe. Like Strange T said is is way cuter and is right on Lake Michigan. Check out the Holiday Inn Express in St Joe. It is a couple miles south of the main cute brick street downtown area. It overlooks the Lake, and sits next door to a great Mexican restaurant with a great patio for evening drinks and sunset watching. Or there are several other hotel choices at Exit 23 in Stevensville that would be good. Anything at Exit 29 in Benton Harbor would be closer to the wedding location - but further away from any other fun.

Be prepared! Weddings at the Blue Dress Barn can be either sweltering ( been there done that!) or fine.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in July

Thanks to you both, really appreciate the insight! Have a good one!

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in July

Oh my, definitely stay in St. Joe over Benton Harbor! I would never even consider staying in BH. You will love St. Joe and going to the wedding won't be that much of a drive. You may want to consider the Boulevard Inn-right in downtown St Joe, on a bluff overlooking the beach and a really nice park. They also have a nice restaurant.

Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in July

Hello! I am planning a wedding in Ocotber at Blue Dress Barn and although we will have a local hotel option for guests near Saint Joseph, the wedding party and I are planning to make a weekend of it in Saugatuck, MI. Saugatuck is about 45 minutes away but considered the B and B capitol of the midwest. There are many, many cottages, vacation rentals in that area but of course, it is a Harbor Town during high tourism season in the Summer. I've stayed at severl B and B's as well as the Bella Vita Spa and Suites which has places in Saugatuck or Douglas, just across the highway from one another. There are so many galleries, restaurants in that area and it is such a special place to visit and spend the weekend. It would be a little drive, but worth it!

Chicago
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in July

There are no hotels in the city of Benton Harbor that I know of. TravDreamer has it right. There are chains out by I-94 both in suburban St. Joe and Benton Harbor. There are a few hotels in St. Joe city including Holiday Inn Express. From any where you will stay, you will need a car. Everything is within a short drive though. There is a new hotel right on the river that is expected to open in late Spring but I don't think they are taking reservations.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,805 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in July

fyi, this thread is a year old

Edited: 04 January 2014, 12:50
8. Re: Wedding in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Saint Joseph
Recent Conversations