We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When Does Summer Arrive?

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
When Does Summer Arrive?

When is it warm on the Lake Michigan coast? When is the water comfortable enough to swim in? We are considering a long weekend there for the beach.

Thanks!

Muskegon County...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

Never can tell in Michigan but I would look at August.

Heck, we are still waiting for spring to arrive and it's almost the end of April. : )

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

Sounds like Ohio!!! Well we have the weekend of June 1 thru the 4th open....should we still make it a trip to St Joseph or ditch that plan?

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

There's a big chance that you won't be swimming in Lake Michigan that early in the summer. It might be nice to lay on the beach if it warms up.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

What else is there to do to keep us busy?

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

Well, I am so pleased to see that you are hoping to visit the beautiful Michigan Great Lakes. While Lake Erie in Ohio is nice, the western Michigan shoreline is different from the Lake Erie shoreline. It is generally less built up (in a good way) and the water is bluer and the sand softer. It just has a different feel (that's the only way I can put it). The towns are a bit more quaint (in general). My daughter goes to OSU and marvels at how few Ohioans have visited northern Michigan when it is so close and offers so much. Having said that, our favorite resort areas of Michigan are too far from Columbus for a long weekend.

By all means, head to southern Lake Michigan. Visit the Warren Dunes sand dunes. They are not as spectacular as Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes (nothing is as spectacular as Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes) but Warren Dunes will give you a small taste of all the possibilities that await further north. While I am a destination expert for the State of Michigan, southwestern Michigan is not an area of expertise for me. I do know that many on this forum rave about St. Joe's. A bit further north you will encounter the lovely towns of Saugatuck and South Haven.

As for the timing of your trip, early June can be hit or miss. The waters of Lake Michigan will be COLD but the sand should be lovely.

I truly wish you could return during the first week of August when the weather is generally perfect.

Please enjoy your trip and, when you get the time, please plan a full week in Northern Michigan. Visit Sleeping Bear, Traverse City, Charlevoix and Petoskey. Ride bikes around Mackinac Island and take a boat ride through the Sault Locks. The experiences are unlike anywhere else.

My husband is an international airline pilot out of New York. It is pretty easy for us to travel anywhere his airline goes. This year we offered our kids a week in France for summer vacation or a week in Northern Michigan. They chose Northern Michigan. Need I say more! Moms

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

Do your kids like to just play on the beach or do they need to be in the water to have fun? We've been to Lake Michigan numerous times when it is too cold to be in the water, but had a ton of fun with building sand castles, flying kites, playing frisbee, etc.

The Silver Beach Carousel is enclosed so it runs no matter the weather and it is a really, really cool carousel. The building has games in it and sometimes crafts/other activities.

Each year the city has a public art theme and it is a lot of fun to look for them through town. I just checked and this year is planes, trains, and helicopters.

There's a small children's museum, but I've never been in it. Our daughter was too old for it.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

Thanks for the info!

They might be disappointed if it's too cold to swim...but might be ok with it if we have a pool they can swim in.

I'm considering wait until next year and planning for a longer trip farther north. This summer we are gonna be on the east coast (Maryland) in July/August).

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

DEFINITELY do the long weekend in western michigan in june...

save the longer trip for next year----plan on a week or more to do it right.....

last year, the lake temp in june was good as it was a very warm spring.... this year, i doubt it, as you know, we've had a very cold spring.... but kids can sometimes tolerate the colder water than us adults..... but ya never know---the big lake might surprise us.... the beaches in st joe and south haven are AWESOME, so even if they won't swim, i guarantee, they'll have a good time.... if the kids must swim, we stayed at the sun n sand resort near south haven, which has an OUTDOOR pool (not very common in these parts), and the experience was great.... st joe has the HIE, which has an indoor pool, as does the silver beach hotel.... as i said in the other thread, read my reviews of these places.....

here are some websites to monitor what the big lakes are doing:

http://surfgrandhaven.com/cms/

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/

www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php…

again, don't disappoint your kids and not go to western michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

Thanks Strange Tripper, I will check out your reviews.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When Does Summer Arrive?

If you think you'll only make one trip to Michigan, then yes, wait for a week and do it in August. But your neighbors to the north hope that's not the case!

Obviously you know your family best, but a long weekend along Lake Michigan in early June sounds like heaven to me! I'd love it if I could turn the hands of time back to make my daughter younger and enjoy a few more Lake Michigan beach days with her as a little girl. She still loves any beach, but her heavy academic load prevents any long weekends away during the school year and she's much less likely to fly a kite with me or bury her dad in sand (though there are surely times when that's a mental image she enjoys) than she was as a little girl.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Joseph