We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mollhagen's Kitchen & Cocktails review

MICHIGAN
Level Contributor
17 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Mollhagen's Kitchen & Cocktails review

Since the restaurant doesn't show up yet on Trip Advisor, thought I'd give a heads up here. It's a newer restaurant on the St Joseph River (took over old Barney's Boathouse). It is a dumpy grey building on river's edge. We sat outside on dumpy deck on tacky stools at a sad wooden table. New owner's are not into décor, paint or cosmetic improvements, unfortunately.

PLUS SIDE: Eating on the river! Very, very quiet when we were there (6pm - 7pm on Saturday evening in August). We were the ONLY car in their parking lot. Had no tables filled inside and only 4 tables filled out on the deck from boaters (pier parking free and available!).

Their menu consists of about 7 appetizers, 4 salads, mac & cheese ($11) is the only "entrée" and maybe 10 sandwiches (Cuban , pulled pork, fish tacos, chicken sandwich, burger and a few more very unexciting, uninspiring offerings).

Cheapest was a burger & fries for $7.00. DH got that - said it was fair (it was BIG and lots of fries). I got fish tacos. 3 taco's in 6" flour tortillas. When server set it down I LITERALLY had to put on my reading glasses to see if there was ANY fish. There was. Each 6" tortilla had ONE piece of fish approx. 1/2" wide and 4" long. A little melted cheese, 1 tsp of pico and some green lettuce stuff. $12 --- but it came with fries. Very, very sad. Was a WHOLE lotta tortilla for the little, itty bitty filling.

We had a radio shopping show coupon so our cost for the meal was only $10.00 (instead of the $20 it would have been). It was fine for $10. Rip off at $20.

This place is ok if you want a burger by the river in peace & quiet & could care less about the dumpy environment (FYI - we would be ok with dumpy if the food was GREAT). For much better food on the river, go to Clementine's 3 doors down.

Dunno about the booze or night scene. Maybe they get hopping. My impression from their facebook page PRIOR to going was "they desperately wanna be a hip, happening party scene". I think with enough alcohol it may SEEM that way.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Joseph
Saint Joseph
Berrien County, MI
Clementine's
Clementine's
1,219 Reviews
South Haven, MI
Purely Michigan
Gift & Speciality Shops
The Olive Cart
Gift & Speciality Shops
G&M Variety
Gift & Speciality Shops
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
992 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mollhagen's Kitchen & Cocktails review

Thanks for the review. All good to know. Looks like lots of room for improvements! Barneys was always known for the younger set bar scene and the on the river docking ability. Having decent food should be a priority you'd think!!!

Wabash
Level Contributor
245 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mollhagen's Kitchen & Cocktails review

If they served decent food, they should have been packed on a Saturday evening. Seeing no other cars in the parking lot would have had me driving right on by. Too bad. Sounds like a nice location. Maybe the owners will get their act together.

3. Re: Mollhagen's Kitchen & Cocktails review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Saint Joseph
Recent Conversations