We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A good place to stay with young children?

Brownsburg, Indiana
4 posts
Save Topic
A good place to stay with young children?

My mom and I want to take my 6, 4, and 1 year old kids up to St. Joe area at the end of June for a long weekend (Wed-Sun). VRBO I'm finding is expensive / night and require week stays. The kids will want to swim a lot and there has to be stuff to keep them busy. Any suggestions on a great place to stay?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A good place to stay with young children?

There are several hotels in the surrounding area mainly near the expressway. Three that might fit are the Holiday Inn Express about a mile south on the Lake shore but no beach access. The Boulevards is downtown and near everything, a little more upscale , but I don't recall them having a pool. The Silver Beach Hotel is downtown and a short walk to everything but it used to get mediocre reviews. Lately they have been better, hopefully someone that's been recently will chime in. ST are you out there?

Those three seem to come up a lot on here.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 01:00
Mentioned in this post
Lake Shore Resort
Lake Shore Resort
215 Reviews
Saugatuck, MI
Silver Beach Hotel
Silver Beach Hotel
559 Reviews
Saint Joseph, MI
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
993 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A good place to stay with young children?

The Boulevard does not have a pool. Several other good choices that are a bit further from downtown -- tho a very pleasant drive by the lake are all at Exit 23 on I 94 -- Comfort Inn, Baymont Inn. Several others I can't think !of now too. Most have pools. There is plenty to do with you kids for that many days. You wont get bored! A day trip up to South Haven should be on your list to do too.

Mentioned in this post
South Haven
South Haven
Van Buren County, MI
chicago
Level Contributor
9,067 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A good place to stay with young children?

I stayed at silver beach with my daughter, its fine. They have a pool and a playroom. Free breakfast is above average. If you find a good rate stay there, the location is good.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A good place to stay with young children?

ST is here;-)

go to my profile page and read my reviews of the silver beach, HI express and comfort inn, as well as the sun n sand resort in south haven....

like the above poster said, IMO the silver beach is fine, tho it gets mixed reviews... we stayed there a coupla years ago and yes, it was a bit rough around the edges (and a bit pricey), BUT, it's about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. it's walking distance to everything. with the size of your family, it's probably worth getting a suite---more spacious, and ours had a decent view facing the lake.... the HIE, about 2 miles south of downtown, is a level nicer than the silver beach, BUT, it's 2 miles away....and no beach access.... if you're more budget minded, the HI express, marriott or comfort inn in benton harbor, near the interstate are nice, but they're a good 10-15 minutes from the beaches....and thru some rough areas, tho the hotels themselves are safe.

the sun n sand in s haven is a viable option---very nice outdoor pool and 5-10 minutes from the south haven beaches, and 15-20 minutes from st joe and saugatuck---both easy drives..... they also have family suites.

Brownsburg, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A good place to stay with young children?

Thank you for your info!!! Appreciated!

Brownsburg, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A good place to stay with young children?

Thank you!

Brownsburg, Indiana
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A good place to stay with young children?

Thank you so much!

8. Re: A good place to stay with young children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Saint Joseph